• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Denver's Winning TD Illegal?

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Was Tim Tebow?s game-winning touchdown illegal? | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

A review of the Denver Broncos' pre-snap formation on the game-winning touchdown pass from Tim Tebow to Demaryius Thomas suggests that the play could have been ruled illegal.
Only six Denver Broncos players were lined up on the line of scrimmage before the snap. NFL rules says that a team must have seven or more players on the line for a snap to be legal. As the picture above shows, tight end Dante Rosario was well behind his teammates.
Let the scandal begin. For the record, I hate Chris Chase

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I did go back and watch the play, and by golly, he was kind of right. Regardless, you really cannot go back and replay the end of the game. Denver won. It's over. Steelers fans are going to go NUTS now.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I liked the last bit of the article;

"Should Tebow's touchdown have counted? Absolutely... its only illegal if you get caught" :hah:

that mentality is spooky. But hey, whatcha gonna do. Tebow get a win and gets more attention as usual.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Yeah, what's done is done. But you kind had to figure the only way Tebow was making it to the second round was by cheating. :lol:

Fortunately, all the cheating in the world won't get him past Football Jesus & the Patriots. Ha.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Who cares, it didn't affect the play. Besides, there's holding going on in every single play that doesn't get called. The Steelers lost because they put like 8 in the box forcing Tebow to beat them rather than McGehee, and he did.

Wade8813

Registered Member
This is interesting, but really this sort of thing happens pretty frequently. It doesn't mean anyone was cheating. Also, that whole "It's only illegal if you get caught" is so ridiculous.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The whole formation kerfuffle is a tad ridiculous. That said, the NFL is not covering itself in glory with its explanations. Sayeth Greg Aiello: “There is nothing to this. This is a legal formation. This should not have been flagged.”

If there is an explanation where the seventh guy gets a "close enough" designation, this would be the time to offer that explanation.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, what's done is done. But you kind had to figure the only way Tebow was making it to the second round was by cheating. :lol:

Fortunately, all the cheating in the world won't get him past Football Jesus & the Patriots. Ha.
So Tebow the cheater vs the New England Cheaters? haha

No bigger cheaters then the Pats haha

But anyway, ugh, who cares haha. This kinda stuff happens...the refs missed, Denver just got lucky, I guess. This is a non issue if you ask me.

BigBob

Registered Member
I can't believe I haven't seen people bitching on Facebook about this year because being from Pennsylvania, as soon as the ref gets something wrong, that's all you do is hear about how the Steelers got screwed.

If you pay attention sometimes, there's times where it looks like there are only three players (the center and two receivers/tight ends) on the line of scrimmage but because the offensive line is close enough to it, it's fine.

Regardless of it being a legal formation or not, either Ike Taylor lined up on the wrong shoulder or the safety blitzed when he shouldn't have.. that's what cost them the game.