• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Democrats flee Wisconsin?

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Democrats flee Wisconsin to protest union curbs | Reuters

How can elected officials flee their constitutes as a form of protest? Are they not elected to SERVE? Is their biggest role in their job description not to VOTE? If I were a Wisconsin voter, I would be outraged at this childish action.

Your thoughts?

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Report: Wis. Dem State Senators Leave State To Block Budget Quorum | TPMDC

Read more articles. The democrats didn't leave because they were being pussies, they left because it would deprive the Republicans of the majority needed to pass a budget that would slash union workers' rights. On top of that, the state police were apparently sent out to retrieve them.

Needless to say, it's a huge mess.
The way it reads to me, the Democrats are only playing "games" at tax payers expenses. They have a job, they should do their job.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Report: Wis. Dem State Senators Leave State To Block Budget Quorum | TPMDC

Read more articles. The democrats didn't leave because they were being pussies, they left because it would deprive the Republicans of the majority needed to pass a budget that would slash union workers' rights. On top of that, the state police were apparently sent out to retrieve them.

Needless to say, it's a huge mess.
How does leaving remove the majority any more than voting "No" would have? And having state police sent to get them seems like a waste of time and money.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
How does leaving remove the majority any more than voting "No" would have? And having state police sent to get them seems like a waste of time and money.
Read the article, it's why I included it.

In this situation, the Republicans have simply ignored what voters want and gone ahead with their assault on unions. I'm not sure why it surprises people, the republicans have been all about big business for some time now (just like how democrats are all about big government). Kind of like how Tea Party supporters are seeing their leaders double cross them by doing such things as supporting the Patriot Act, I still wonder why people ever lay the least amount of trust with a politician.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Are you sure that's not what people want? Aren't they the elected representatives of the people? If after Obama was elected and the Dems had control of all three branches and the Republicans left Washington, would you still be defending their actions?

This seems to me a game of "I'm taking my ball and going home"

Wade8813

Registered Member

In this situation, the Republicans have simply ignored what voters want and gone ahead with their assault on unions. I'm not sure why it surprises people, the republicans have been all about big business for some time now (just like how democrats are all about big government). Kind of like how Tea Party supporters are seeing their leaders double cross them by doing such things as supporting the Patriot Act, I still wonder why people ever lay the least amount of trust with a politician.
I did read the article - it says that they're leaving to
depriving Republicans of the three-fifths majority needed to pass the budget and its controversial anti-public union provisions

Which it seems like they could just do by noting "No".

BTW, this article (and Ilus' article) don't seem to say anything about how popular this is - just that it's controversial enough to get large protest (which isn't the same).

Although I'm also wondering how stopping a grocery store union from negotiating is going to have any impact on the state's budget...

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member

:lol: The republicans are doing what they were elected to do, one of those things is to stop spending money they don't have. Unless you have some evidence that the voters of Wisconsin are happy that those who belly up to the public trough get more benefits than the people who actually pay for their outrageous benefits.

How do they react? Shut down the schools and protest? They should be fired!

Yes, those union-loving democrats are pussies. They are running away from their jobs and shutting down the legislature so that there can be no vote. All to appease their union financiers.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
This seems a little ironic to me:

MPS Closed: Milwaukee Public Schools closed for Friday - WITI

So teachers in Milwaukee close the schools with a sick out (basically an illegal strike) to protest paying a portion of their own benefits and loss of the union? Why, one would think that Milwaukee has one of the best school systems around with that amount of pride! Average annual compensation tops $100,000/year. Their schools must be one of the highest achieving districts in the country! But wait, they aren't?!? WTF! How can that be?

Average MPS Teacher Compensation Tops $100k/year | MacIver Institute

Do MPS teachers really think they deserve to be better paid than those that actually pay their salaries, while failing to provide a good education for all students? I guess they do.

qweerblue

Registered Member
This seems a little ironic to me:

MPS Closed: Milwaukee Public Schools closed for Friday - WITI

So teachers in Milwaukee close the schools with a sick out (basically an illegal strike) to protest paying a portion of their own benefits and loss of the union? Why, one would think that Milwaukee has one of the best school systems around with that amount of pride! Average annual compensation tops $100,000/year. Their schools must be one of the highest achieving districts in the country! But wait, they aren't?!? WTF! How can that be?

Average MPS Teacher Compensation Tops $100k/year | MacIver Institute

Do MPS teachers really think they deserve to be better paid than those that actually pay their salaries, while failing to provide a good education for all students? I guess they do.
I'd be pretty interested to know what that $43,000 in benefits covers--we're not talking about a *salary* of $100,000, you know? I wonder how much of that $43,000 is for health insurance? I'm mean, I'm assuming that that's what "benefits" are--pension and health insurance. What a shame that we don't have a better way to provide citizens with health care...