Democratic Primaries 2008 Thread

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Post here with your information, thoughts, or analysis of the current Democratic primaries.

As it stands:

Iowa

Obama-38
Edwards-30
Clinton-29
Richardson-2
Biden-1
Dodd, Gravel, and Kucinich-0

Last edited:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland

Current poll from Rasmussen.

There'll be a debate tonight on ABC. Expect Clinton to talk about Obama's left-wing policy (she attacked him for opposing mandatory minimums and supposedly colluding with left-wing Chicago intellectuals) and Edwards to attack Obama for supposedly being a corporate schill.

Clinton's gotten emotional...

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (Jan. 7) - In perhaps her most public display of emotion of the presidential campaign, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s eyes welled with tears, and her voice cracked dramatically on Monday, as she talked about holding up under the rigors of the race and her belief that she is the best candidate for the Democratic nomination.

If it was not an Ed Muskie moment — Mrs. Clinton did not cry (or look like she was crying) — she was certainly on the verge of it after a woman asked her, at a round table discussion at a coffee shop here, how she managed to get out of bed and soldier through each day.
I wanted to laugh and make fun of her but for some reason I can't. She's fallen behind, no one said winning a presidential race would be easy.
------
And this is the link to that story above...

Teary-Eyed Clinton Vows to Fight On - AOL News

Last edited:

Folly

It seems likely that Obama will beat Hillary in NH and win the Democratic nomination and Presidency of the U.S. as the only leading candidate against the Iraq war.

With Iran war already taken off the table, will an Obama win mean pretty much the end of Bush/Cheney's 'War on Terror' and it would be limited to policing operations around the world?

He is finding lot of support across America so far and GOP supporters do not seem to get behind any strong candidate that can defeat him.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Clinton, defying every single major poll, won 39 to 37 percent, backed by a surprising support from females, which Obama won a plurality of in Iowa.

I have to say what's wrong with Zogby and Rasmussen, who predicted in betweeen 7 and 12 points Obama routs. I'm curious into how they messed up this bad.

Well, both parties now officially have no clear candidate yet. Huckabee doesn't have a national campaign, however his evangelical base has never been politically tested on such a scale. If they can organize and fundraise enough, I can see McCain having serious issues winning conservative states and perhaps leading to an inconclusive result going into the convention.

Obama is about to get the support of the largest union in Nevada, which essentially means he wins the state in a walk. South Carolina is inconclusive, as it's highly black but Clinton has polled well there. If Obama can manage to diffuse Clinton's burst of momentum (she's bringing back the "Comeback Kid" thing from '92) by winning the first three of four, I can see him going strong into Super Tuesday. He does have to figure out how to win in closed primaries--otherwise he may split Super Tuesday.

It'll be a wild ride.

Clinton, defying every single major poll, won 39 to 37 percent, backed by a surprising support from females, which Obama won a plurality of in Iowa.

I have to say what's wrong with Zogby and Rasmussen, who predicted in betweeen 7 and 12 points Obama routs. I'm curious into how they messed up this bad.

Well, both parties now officially have no clear candidate yet. Huckabee doesn't have a national campaign, however his evangelical base has never been politically tested on such a scale. If they can organize and fundraise enough, I can see McCain having serious issues winning conservative states and perhaps leading to an inconclusive result going into the convention.

Obama is about to get the support of the largest union in Nevada, which essentially means he wins the state in a walk. South Carolina is inconclusive, as it's highly black but Clinton has polled well there. If Obama can manage to diffuse Clinton's burst of momentum (she's bringing back the "Comeback Kid" thing from '92) by winning the first three of four, I can see him going strong into Super Tuesday. He does have to figure out how to win in closed primaries--otherwise he may split Super Tuesday.

It'll be a wild ride.
I heard that the culinary union may not endorse Obama because of his second place finish in NH.
------
------
It's my opinion that she won NH because of pity, not because she was promising something.
It really doesn't matter why she won, she did and now her campaign has new life. It really is good for the party that a nominee not be crowned so early in the process.

Last edited: