Democratic debate at South Carolina tonight (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by micfranklin, Jan 21, 2008.

1. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Two parts in the debate I noticed: the first one was that super-heated sparring match between Obama and Clinton. Obama started it by bringing up Clinton's record, then Clinton responded about Obama saying 2 different things and there was a shouting match between them. The last thing she said was that he (Obama) was taking orders from a slum lord in Chicago, and if you listened carefully there was a series of boos in the audience.

Then at the end they were all asked if MLK were alive today, why would he support any of them. Edwards said why he would, Obama said he wouldn't support any of them, Clinton didn't directly answer the question.

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I think this debate was a clear win for Obama. Clinton's attacks were pretty soundly defeated or turned on her, and Obama scored big points with his aggressiveness (the snap about Clinton being a corporate lawyer for Wal-Mart got raucous hooting in the Obama campaign center I was working in).

This really showed how irrelevant Edwards was, with him begging for time. Honestly, besides possibly being a kingmaker at the convention he's got no purpose continuing. But he can't support Hillary, so why's he still around? He is good help to Obama with them tag-teaming on occasion.

3. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

About the very first part of your post.

I cant understand why the folks running will bash eachother face to face, but are angels to eachother (mostly) behind eachothers back.

Shouldnt it be the other way arround?

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

They bash each other all the time now, really. It's zero hour, and they can't play nice anymore.

5. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

That's what keeps the Democrat debates interesting and worth seeing: to see who wins which pissing match and I think the one at the beginning of the debate was the best one to date. I like when Obama said he couldn't tell whether he was debating Bill or Hillary some of the time.

At the end I think Obama had the only honest-to-God answer when he said he thought MLK wouldn't get behind any one of them if he were still alive. He said something about change and the people being the ones to bring it but I can't remember the rest word for word. There was also another funny point when the moderator asked Obama if he thought Clinton was the first "black" president and Hillary just kept staring at him.

But I gotta give it to Edwards for trying to get the debate back on track and stop the bickering.