Democracy vs. Dictatorship

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by PretzelCorps, Feb 8, 2010.

?

Would a dictatorship be better?

1. Yes! Get rid of those annoying bastards on the other side!

12.5%
  2. No! I don't feel my political position is strong enough to warrent dictatorship!

87.5%
  1. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Given the radical polarization of many members on this forum, I have an interesting question:

If you could put an unelected, un-corrupt leader in charge of your country that exactly matched your every political view, would you? While this would effectively blot out the entire opposition to your point of view (No more annoying Liberals! No more shady, rich Conservatives!), it would also eradicate democracy and the vote.

This question may seem immediately easy, but think about it for a moment; by choosing democracy, you are essentially admitting that you may be entirely wrong in your political beliefs, and thus need the other side to keep you in check... On the other hand, if you're so convinced that your way is the right way for your respective country, is a dictatorship (remember, idealized and un-corrupt in this case) not the better route?

What's more important to you? Are you confident enough in your beliefs?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Sim likes this.

2. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

It's not a question of confidence in my beliefs; it's about being fair to the multitude of points of view (both the extremes and the many, many individuals that fall somewhere in between). This country is about having a dialogue and letting everyone have a voice.

3. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

For me the answer is very easy. I choose the dictatorship.
    My beliefs stem from my religion. And is not religion in some way a dictatorial system in it's own right?
    All I believe is, that if the leader of my country will be everything my religion wants him to be, I couldn't be more happier in the knowledge that that's the way it's supposed to be.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'd never choose dictatorship because I enjoy conversing with others and fine-tuning my political opinions. There is no such thing as free conversation in a dictatorship. It's actually quite disturbing that anyone could be so narrow as to pick it because you're essentially saying, "I never change, ever."

5. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I'd chose democracy no matter the cost -- because I think any dictatorship, no matter the initial intentions or plans, would soon degenerate, become corrupt and finally do the exact opposite of what was its purpose in the first place. There are many historical examples for that.

It's true that democracy is susceptible to mob rule, ignorance of the many and such illnesses -- but it's still the best possible system, because only tying the state to law and checking politicians by the people makes sure there is not rampant abuse of power and corruption. Also, a democratic system can best adapt to changes within society.

Also, it's not smart to oppress opposing views with force. It's better to give them a valve to be voiced, or they will become stronger until the point is reached when oppression doesn't work anymore, and you get a revolution including high bloodshed. I don't think anybody could really wish that.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Precisely this. I would choose democracy every single time. Everyone's voice should be heard. We should be a country where a free exchange of ideas is not only wanted but encouraged.

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think democracy is flawed, but I would not want a dictatorship. My views aren't anymore important than anyone else's.

8. rsonmor

rsonmor Registered Member

I would choose democracy because like was mentioned previously perhaps what you believe for a political standpoint may not be right but if dictatorship has been implemented already then their would be no opposing opinions to challenge the particular view that is believed by the leader of your country. Although particular views may not be right it must also be taken into account that perhaps there is no "right" view on a matter, but rather different views that can be accepted and will work with the society in a particular country

9. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

While I feel that they can be annoying and unconstitutional at times, that is why we have the system we do, to make sure no one side has all the power. I would be against it for either side.

10. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

A dictator couldn't share my political views on everything, as he would at least have to oppose my support for democracy, I'm thinking.