Democracy v Democracy

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Jerome88, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Jerome88

Jerome88 Registered Member

Hi i was thinking recently about the democratic peace theory, i was wondering if there was any time in history when two democracies came to blows ie war. i know the variations and degrees in democracy is the main factor. ideas?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

The US and Germany, World War 2.

Both were democracies. It's kind of scary when you think about it.

3. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

4. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

It really does depend on how you define "democracy", but we could arguably add the American Civil-War to the list. The Confederacy elected a government, I believe.

5. Jerome88

Jerome88 Registered Member

i know that the nazi party was technically elected into the Reichstag..but at the time they fought..was germany really a democracy? i believe its nature was very much authoritarian leaning.

6. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Germany was no longer a democracy since 1930, at very least not since February 28th 1933, at least if you define "democracy" as a constitutional representative democracy with protection of civil rights aka "republic".

Neither was Hitler democratically elected. The Nazi Party never made more than 33.7% in free elections (in December 1932, IIRC), and Hitler was appointed by President Hindenburg without gaining a majority in the elections, by using a loophole in the Constitution. And with the "Law for Protection of People and State" after the Reichstag Fire February 28th 1933, Hitler finally dextroyed the Constitution and thus democracy, making Germany a totalitarian dictatorship which was the exact opposite of democracy and much more repressive than most dictatorships that exist today.

So sorry Cons, you are wrong (in case you were being serious, instead of making a joke). It's a common myth Hitler was democratically elected, that simply isn't true. If Nazi Germany was a "democracy", then every single state on this planet today is one too.
    ------
    That this list defines "democracy" so broad in its list of examples makes obvious that it's useless in the best case, and deliberately misleading in teh worst case. Hell, even Nazi Germany is called a democracy in this wikipedia link.

It's obvious that its authors didn't have the slightest clue what they were writing about.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  7. Susano

Susano Registered Member

Well, the major difference in democracies these days is liberal democracies and illibereral democracies - governments that were elected in elections techncially proper and fair, but which dont give a damn about any constitutional or human rights, including rights of the opposition and the free press. Unfortunately, that kind of democracy is a growing market - most dictatroships that fell since the end of the Cold War have been replaced by illiberal democracies, the biggest being Russia...