PC Games Demo problems

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I finally got the single player demo to download, but I can't even run it. I try to open it and it doesn't even do anything. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with the same results.

I have no question in my mind whether or not my PC can handle the game either. I know it can.

Any ideas? Anyone know a download site that works for sure?

KannonMAK

Registered Member
Graphics Card perhaps

you need any of these;

ATI(TM)

Catalyst(TM) Drivers (Windows(R) 2000/XP): v5.8

Radeon(R) 9000 Series
Radeon(R) 9500 Series
Radeon(R) 9600 Series
Radeon(R) 9700 Series
Radeon(R) 9800 Series
Radeon(R) X600 Series
Radeon(R) X700 Series
Radeon(R) X800 Series
Radeon(R) X850 Series

NVIDIA(R)

ForceWare(TM) Drivers (Windows(R) 2000/XP): v77.77

GeForce(TM) 4 Ti Series
GeForce(TM) FX 5900 Series
GeForce(TM) 6600 Series
GeForce(TM) 6800 Series
GeForce(TM) 7800 Series

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Using Radeon X850 XT...

I already knew that wasn't the problem though. :(

What's the newest demo? Is the one on download.com up to date? That's the one I used but couldn't get it to even run. I clicked to open it and absolutely nothing happened. Nothing showed up in task manager either.

compudoc

Registered Member
Sorry I can't answer whether the dl.com is current or not. Probably the same. Don't know if they ever bothered to update the demo or not. Would certainly have been a good idea. When the game was released the engine was severly tweaked compared to the first demo release. I have heard mutiple issues people having with the demo including yours. I never bothered to demo it personally, as I had been following this game in its development and bought the collectors edition dvd. You might consider finding a tracker and "trying before you buy". I did find one for you but don't want to post it here as it may inadvertently promote piracy. The torrent is almost 4 gigs though as it is also the collectors edition DVD which I do recommend. The extras on it are phenomenal. There is an animation on there that will split your sides with laughter as well as directors commentary, a movie, and more. Well worth it. Being your admin you have my email if you want that torrent. Certainly shouldnt shell out cash for something non returnable without making sure it works.
Happy Gaming,
Compudoc

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well how much is the game, $50? Maybe if you can convince me how good it is I will just go pick it up.

It's a first person shooter, right? That's all I know. What type of games does it compaire to? I'm a huge Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike fan when it comes to PC shooters. Is it like those at all?

I'm a big fan of tactical shooters, and this looks like it falls under that category. I played Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 for the longest time on XBOX when that was popular. If it's anything similar to these types of games, I will probably like it.

KannonMAK

Registered Member
FEAR and Half-Life 2 and the top of the class when it comes to current FPS wonders. Both have ridiculously smart AI, jaw dropping graphics, and a decent story to keep you going. If you like HL2 get FEAR, you really wont be disappointed at all. The only real difference is that you're not fighting aliens or monsters, you're fighting the elite clone army, which calls for backup, hides behind walls and pretty much thinks a lot like you do.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Was just watching some videos. I love how you have to put your gun away to go up ladders. That's how all tactical ops should be.

Doesn't look like the game supports widescreen.. I don't understand why more games don't do this now. It's a very easy patch. Half the time you can mod a file or two yourself to get it to work. It's not THE deciding factor, but it's one of them. Now I'm going to have to look into this some more.