Demanding a trade?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Just like my holding out thread, I was curious what were your thoughts on a player that demands a trade when he still as a couple of years left on his contract?

2. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I do not mind players demanding for trades, depending on their resoning and how they play. For instance: Tony Gonzalez. He played his heart out for Kansas City, but wanted to go to a team that had a chance to take a ring immediately, he didn't want to sit and wait any longer. I can't blame him. He wasn't disruptive, he wasn't arrogant, he just wanted out.

Also, if a player really hates the staff/team then demanding a trade isn't a horrible idea. Yeah it is annoying, but the team and the player are better off parting ways in my opinion.

3. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

I completely agree with what Sui said...it definitely depends on WHY they are asking for a trade.

Take Brandon Marshall of the Broncos right now. He wants to be traded...why? Because he sees Kyle Orton and not Jay Cutler? Because he's not making the money that he THINKS he should? Marshall is an instance in which I dont like a guy asking for a trade...he's just being selfish.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

It depends on the reason for wanting a trade. If it's because he doesn't get along with the staff then I think it's ok. But I've always thought it was kind of lame to demand a trade just to get on a championship contending team.

Back in high school in gym class we were doing floor hockey and I asked to be traded to another team. It wasn't because my team sucked, but because they didn't even try. The teacher was cool and traded me. Of course when my new team played my old team they actually tried and they called me a traitor.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I'm not sure how I feel about wanting to be traded because you want to win. With a lot of these teams, you knew what you were getting into when you first signed with them. The Royals have been pretty bad for a while. And when you demand a trade, you put the team in a bad bargaining position, because they have to make a deal (and often other teams know this).

But like in Echoes' example, if people have given up or aren't trying, that's understandable. Or if your manager isn't treating you fairly, or whatever, than that makes sense.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

You at least have to try before wanting to be traded. A player doesn't have to pull a Tony Gonzalez to be able to demand a trade without being called an ass, but at least a full contract, I would think.

and I think "demanding" a trade is just dramatizing the situation. I always imagine a player storming into a GM's office yelling and crap, when people say players demand trades. I prefer to think of it as asking to be traded :-/

7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

That's just it - I have no problem with someone politely asking to be traded, and if it doesn't happen, they still give 100% for the team. But I still have bad memories of Randy Johnson right before he left Seattle. It seemed like he was deliberately playing worse until we finally traded him, then suddenly he was on fire.

8. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

Yep or you could be Manny Ramirez and just stop trying...or Brandon Marshall and not even know the playbook right now. There's a good way to go about it and then there's the opposite approach. I tend to take it case by case.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

If they have a legitimate reason to be upset, then sure. However, guys like Manny who pull hissy fits every deadline are just plain assholes. If they have no reason, then it gets painful. But as long as they have proper cause, why shouldn't they be allowed to demand a trade.

10. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree if there's a good reason then I don't blame him. Take Vince Carter a few years ago with the Raptors. He demanded a trade because he felt the organization was not heading the right direction and he was right. Babcock made some awful moves and the team had horrible years.