• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Delicious Chick-Pea Curry

qweerblue

Registered Member
Oh, I love me some chick-peas. I like them raw and just tossed on a salad, or sauteed in just a bit of oil until they're kind of crispy and brown on the outside, or just mashed up, a-la hummus style.

Mmmm, chick-peas.

One of my very favorite ways to eat them is in this recipe for Chick-Pea Curry. Make it! Eat it! Love it!

• 2-3 Medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
  • 8 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 4 15-oz cans chick-peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1-2 green bell peppers, cut into small pieces (optional)
  • Salt, to taste
  • 1/2 cup water

• Saute the onions in the butter. When golden brown, add tomato sauce, garlic, and spices (I mix all the dry spices together in a small cup and add them to the pan all at once) and stir-fry for a few minutes
  • Add the chick-peas and green pepper, if using, and fry over fairly high heat, about 5-10 minutes.
  • Add salt to taste, turn heat down, add 1/2 cup water, and cover.
  • Stir frequently and simmer for up to an hour.
  • Serve over rice.

Starfire86

Registered Member
You had me at chick-pea :lol: But I love curry too, so I will definitely be trying this.

qweerblue

Registered Member
Hurray! Another chick-pea devotee!

I like that the recipe essentially has you make your own curry powder instead of buying the pre-made stuff, and I like that it calls for 1 1/2 teaspoons of cayenne--seems like so many recipes that use cayenne call for a "pinch" or an 1/8 teaspoon or something. Ridiculous! Spice it up! I mean, unless a person just doesn't like heat, why just a pinch?

And, well, any recipe that begins with sauteing onions in a boatload of butter has a stellar beginning, as far as I'm concerned ;)

Starfire86

Registered Member
"1 teaspoon cumin"
Multiply that by a million! (I love cumin!)

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Delaney eats them straight out of the can, no joke.

I dunno about this though. it sounds pretty but I don't stock any of those ingredients, so how about you make it for me some time? I'll bring the wine - I just bought three bottles of Chariot Gypsy Red at TJ's.

qweerblue

Registered Member
Delaney eats them straight out of the can, no joke.

I dunno about this though. it sounds pretty but I don't stock any of those ingredients, so how about you make it for me some time? I'll bring the wine - I just bought three bottles of Chariot Gypsy Red at TJ's.
YES! We'll eat, drink, and be merry and watch "Pineapple Express" or "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" or something equally delightful.

Starfire86

Registered Member
We should watch "Wizard People, Dear Reader".

qweerblue

Registered Member
We should watch "Wizard People, Dear Reader".
So out of the loop am I that I had to look this up, but, oh my word, yes!

And you have no way of knowing this Starfire, but at a party at my apartment years ago, Di and I did, indeed, make people watch "Wizard of Oz" while listening to "Dark Side of the Moon", i.e. "Dark Side of the Rainbow" ;)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Mmmm chick-peas *drool*. Now I need someone to come over here and cook this for me so I can eat it :D

qweerblue

Registered Member
Mmmm chick-peas *drool*. Now I need someone to come over here and cook this for me so I can eat it :D
Crouton! You can cook this! I recall something about your skill with mushrooms and chives or some such thing. Honestly, the ratio of effort to pay-off is in your favor, I promise!

Alternatively, hop on one of those plane thingies and join us here, if you like--curry, wine, and hilarity will ensue!

I also want to take this moment to tell you how hard I laughed about you eating soup with CROUTONS in it :lol: