• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Degrowth Politics/Social Theory

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
http://www.onthecommons.org/stirrings-degrowth-movement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrowth
I heard Mark Levin talk about this the other day and I realized this is the driving force of the American liberals including almost all of the Democrats and many Republicans.
The movement started in Europe. Its all about lowering the GDP of developed nations and maintaining a "steady state" worldwide production level.

This explains every question I've pondered about American Liberal policy:
1) Why the insistence on climate change even though there have been many scandals and no evidence that its man-caused?
2) Why unwavering support of PP even though they have broken many laws and crossed unthinkable ethical lines?
3) Why support ObamaCare even though insurance costs more and is not as good?
4) Why the support for killing coal plants even though it will skyrocket prices and do no good toward global warming?
5) Why is there no emphasis or concern over the job market?
6) Why the push for open borders?
...many more. Every question I've had that makes little sense, now makes sense as I read about this degrowth theory.

This idea that we should work towards lowering our GDP and wealth is just evil. This is not the ideology of Bill Clinton or JFK. The growth economy of the US has cured the world of diseases, lifted millions out of poverty, liberated nations, increased technology and education throughout the world. For the life of me, I can't imagine being excited about slowing down the world's economies.

Rapier

V.I.P.
http://www.onthecommons.org/stirrings-degrowth-movement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrowth
I heard Mark Levin talk about this the other day and I realized this is the driving force of the American liberals including almost all of the Democrats and many Republicans.
The movement started in Europe. Its all about lowering the GDP of developed nations and maintaining a "steady state" worldwide production level.

This explains every question I've pondered about American Liberal policy:
1) Why the insistence on climate change even though there have been many scandals and no evidence that its man-caused?
2) Why unwavering support of PP even though they have broken many laws and crossed unthinkable ethical lines?
3) Why support ObamaCare even though insurance costs more and is not as good?
4) Why the support for killing coal plants even though it will skyrocket prices and do no good toward global warming?
5) Why is there no emphasis or concern over the job market?
6) Why the push for open borders?
...many more. Every question I've had that makes little sense, now makes sense as I read about this degrowth theory.

This idea that we should work towards lowering our GDP and wealth is just evil. This is not the ideology of Bill Clinton or JFK. The growth economy of the US has cured the world of diseases, lifted millions out of poverty, liberated nations, increased technology and education throughout the world. For the life of me, I can't imagine being excited about slowing down the world's economies.
You can't lord over prosperous, educated people.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I gave you a like MIT not because I agree with everything you said but this is a great topic.

I don't agree with degrowth but I can understand where they are coming from. We can't continue to consume natural resources at the rate we have been. We will run out especially with the population growth that is expected. We will have to find an alternative source of energy if we are to continue to grow, maintain our lifestyle, or just hold our own.

As far as global warming caused by man I think we have had a big impact on it. I know throughout the earths history there have been natural changes before man arrived on the scene. However the largest impact on climate has come from sources such as meteors or volcanoes. This time man is the meteor. There has been a lot or research that does point at man as the cause. I know people don't want to believe we, humans, would have no bearing on global warming so they don't have to be concerned about it but its time to wake up.

The government has also done things I think is despicable but I don't want them dissolved. The government also does good things just like PP. I do agree PP needs to stop selling aborted fetuses for research, I thought what they said was disgusting. PP also claims those videos were heavily edited.

I agree Obamacare isn't good but I believe we need a national healthcare system so all Americans even those working for minimum wage have access to healthcare.

We need to protect or our borders better, why illegals aren't being deported I'll never know, not even the criminals. Seems we take better care of them than our veterans. They are costing us more than the government would like us to believe.

Rapier

V.I.P.
I gave you a like MIT not because I agree with everything you said but this is a great topic.

I don't agree with degrowth but I can understand where they are coming from. We can't continue to consume natural resources at the rate we have been. We will run out especially with the population growth that is expected. We will have to find an alternative source of energy if we are to continue to grow, maintain our lifestyle, or just hold our own.

As far as global warming caused by man I think we have had a big impact on it. I know throughout the earths history there have been natural changes before man arrived on the scene. However the largest impact on climate has come from sources such as meteors or volcanoes. This time man is the meteor. There has been a lot or research that does point at man as the cause. I know people don't want to believe we, humans, would have no bearing on global warming so they don't have to be concerned about it but its time to wake up.

The government has also done things I think is despicable but I don't want them dissolved. The government also does good things just like PP. I do agree PP needs to stop selling aborted fetuses for research, I thought what they said was disgusting. PP also claims those videos were heavily edited.

I agree Obamacare isn't good but I believe we need a national healthcare system so all Americans even those working for minimum wage have access to healthcare.

We need to protect or our borders better, why illegals aren't being deported I'll never know, not even the criminals. Seems we take better care of them than our veterans. They are costing us more than the government would like us to believe.
First of all the over population is in Asia and Israel. Look it up.

PP? The vanguard of over 1,000,000+ known abortions per year in the USA. People that piss on human life by creating it indiscriminately and snuffing it out are worse than rapists or child abusers. Rapists and child abusers can be stopped and punished.

Solar is the answer. The MSM doesn't seem to care.

Global warming is pollution in a clown suit provided by big oil. The MSM doesn't seem to care.

Obama care? Be aware the same CFR and think tanks conjure this shit up no matter the administration. Can you imagine the chaos of removing Obama Care by Republicans?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Actually I have never heard of it before and I read and watch both conservative and liberal news.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
First of all the over population is in Asia and Israel. Look it up.

PP? The vanguard of over 1,000,000+ known abortions per year in the USA. People that piss on human life by creating it indiscriminately and snuffing it out are worse than rapists or child abusers. Rapists and child abusers can be stopped and punished.

Solar is the answer. The MSM doesn't seem to care.

Global warming is pollution in a clown suit provided by big oil. The MSM doesn't seem to care.

Obama care? Be aware the same CFR and think tanks conjure this shit up no matter the administration. Can you imagine the chaos of removing Obama Care by Republicans?
Your forgot about Africa.

If rapist and child abusers can be stopped then why aren't they. Why because you can't until they do something then the damage is done. Hey but lets make a 14 year old girl have a baby.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It's also called steady state economy and to some extent smart growth. I'm on my phone so I can't post links but when you search that it ties into a lot more politicians and media.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks for that suggestion.

I did look it up and one thing that stood out at me is that in order for this to work we have to have a stable population. I don't think that is going to happen so this is nothing but a dream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steady-state_economy

Rapier

V.I.P.
Your forgot about Africa.

If rapist and child abusers can be stopped then why aren't they. Why because you can't until they do something then the damage is done. Hey but lets make a 14 year old girl have a baby.