• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Definition of Camping

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
There's been a lot of talk in that other thread about camping, and I figured a thread talking directly about camping was in order. I think there has been threads in the past, but that was a long time ago.

So how do you define camping? What do you think of camping? Are there different kinds of camping, and is some kinds of camping okay?

I think I have a very lax definition of camping. To me, a camper is someone who finds a tiny little hole to lie down or stand in, and shoots from there. Somewhere, where noone else can really get shots on him and such.

To me, a person isn't a camper if they stay in the same spot of a map, looking down a hallway or something, and shoot people coming round the corner. I think that's smart, it's not always wise to go running helter skelter around the map, because you're an easier target. The guy standing in the hallway is an easy target, because once he gets you once, you know where he is, and if he gets you again and again, it's your own fault for not changing your pattern, and taking him out some other way. Grenades work well for this, or wall piercing rounds. I would still call this camping I guess, but I don't mind it as much, because it's not completely impossible.

Another thing I've seen people call camping, is if a team hunkers in a room and covers all the doorways. This is camping, yes, but I don't think it's unacceptable or cheap. It takes communication and teamwork to decide to protect a room, and with grenades and wall piercing rounds, it's not impossible to get them out, it just takes patience, teamwork, and people not being stupid enough to keep running in there. The best way to fight a team hunkering down, is to just not run in there and wait it out. Although that doesn't work if you're not winning.

So what are you're guys's views on camping?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think I have a very lax definition of camping. To me, a camper is someone who finds a tiny little hole to lie down or stand in, and shoots from there. Somewhere, where noone else can really get shots on him and such.
To me, a person isn't a camper if they stay in the same spot of a map, looking down a hallway or something, and shoot people coming round the corner. I think that's smart, it's not always wise to go running helter skelter around the map, because you're an easier target.
I think to myself as well as others, these two are the same thing. It's one thing to stop in a corner to reload or catch your bearings after a heavy fire fight and I agree that rushing around the map is not always the best idea (but some people do this consistently and do great, search YouTube for "SandyRavage") but the guys who just sit there are campers. Plain and simple. It means remaining in one place for a long period of time and that's what the two scenarios above are.

People who camp are either new and unsure of themselves and thus nervous or too cautious or they're noobs who think they can hide their way to a good score with as little work as possible. Newbs tend to get better, they get more comfortable and they won't do it as much. Noobs will not.

Another thing I've seen people call camping, is if a team hunkers in a room and covers all the doorways. This is camping, yes, but I don't think it's unacceptable or cheap. It takes communication and teamwork to decide to protect a room, and with grenades and wall piercing rounds, it's not impossible to get them out, it just takes patience, teamwork, and people not being stupid enough to keep running in there. The best way to fight a team hunkering down, is to just not run in there and wait it out. Although that doesn't work if you're not winning.
This is different in team games I will say. I hear people bitch about camping in Domination, Headquarters and other team games and I don't get it. You need to camp in those game types to win, you have to defend the objectives. In deathmatch style games however, it is camping.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I agree with Merc, both of the first elements I would deem as camping, this is part of the reason the makers of Unreal Tournament changed the Sniper Rifle to one that caused a smoke trail so that camping whilst could not be stopped was at least made a little easier to spot.

For me there is nothing worse than camping, it does not improve a player and it is pretty much a guaranteed way to be hated on gaming communities.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I think to myself as well as others, these two are the same thing. It's one thing to stop in a corner to reload or catch your bearings after a heavy fire fight and I agree that rushing around the map is not always the best idea (but some people do this consistently and do great, search YouTube for "SandyRavage") but the guys who just sit there are campers. Plain and simple. It means remaining in one place for a long period of time and that's what the two scenarios above are.

People who camp are either new and unsure of themselves and thus nervous or too cautious or they're noobs who think they can hide their way to a good score with as little work as possible. Newbs tend to get better, they get more comfortable and they won't do it as much. Noobs will not.

This is different in team games I will say. I hear people bitch about camping in Domination, Headquarters and other team games and I don't get it. You need to camp in those game types to win, you have to defend the objectives. In deathmatch style games however, it is camping.

I guess they're similiar, but I would still consider one more annoying than the other. At least in the latter situation, it's not that hard to flush em out. At least for me anyways, but I suppose it depends on how well you know the map too. In mw2, I know the hiding spots in most of the maps, so if I get shot by a camper, I know where to aim my bullets and take him out.

However the first situation is annoying, because they get themselves somewhere where you CAN'T kill them, because they've wedged themselves somewhere where a wall or decoration blocks your shots, but they can see and shoot people. It's worse when you have to pass in their line of fire to get to that glitch spot. All other camping is annoying at most to me, but this kind of camping pisses me right off. One of my younger brothers used to do that to me whenever we played splitscreen, and it usually ended with me forcefully taking his controller, and pressing the nade button so he naded himself. (It mostly pissed me off because he would figure that it somehow made him better at the game. Stupid kid)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I can't speak for Call of Duty, which it seems you guys are talking about. Camping is probably harder to do in Halo, but it still happens.

How I would define camping in Halo terms is staying in one spot, normally with a close range weapon like the shotgun or sword in an enclosed area, for more than one kill. Sometimes I will camp a teleport or a lift until someone comes through, but I will always move on after that one kill. I'd rather people not know where I'm hiding anyway.

I think camping is fair game with long range weapons as long as you are within the normal boundaries of the map. I'll sit in a cave or on a tower with the sniper rifle and pick people off until they force me out, which, if they have decent teamwork, is pretty easy to do in Halo.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Haha, yah, I guess we were talking about COD a bit more. In halo, I find camping to be a little less prevalent, simply because the kill times are a lot slower. There are only a few weapons that can kill instantly, and even then, only if you are skilled with them. So if you run into a room where someone is crouch hiding with a shotgun, the chances of you dieing, are lower if the person doing it sucks.

I've had it happen where a guy in a room has killed me, and I've gone back there, tossed in a grenade, sprinted around the corner and melee'd him to death. I don't know, i guess in halo, campers just seem way easier to deal with I suppose. They never piss me off like they can in COD.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Haha, yah, I guess we were talking about COD a bit more. In halo, I find camping to be a little less prevalent, simply because the kill times are a lot slower. There are only a few weapons that can kill instantly, and even then, only if you are skilled with them. So if you run into a room where someone is crouch hiding with a shotgun, the chances of you dieing, are lower if the person doing it sucks.
It's also the game modes. Unlike CoD, Halo's MP modes basically say KEEP MOVING ALL OF THE TIME as compared to KEEP MOVING, BUT YOU CAN CROUCH FOR A WHILE IF YOU WANNA.

Also in Halo, the maps are designed to keep you from really going out there and camping.

LxDroid

Registered Member
my def of camping:
someone who wants to be the best by not actually playing the game right.
in bfbc2 its difficult to camp. but its possible. for cod, halo etc i cant say much as i dont play them

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
my def of camping:
someone who wants to be the best by not actually playing the game right.
Your definition includes a lot of other things that aren't camping, like using glitches. And besides, who's to say what the right or wrong way to play a game is? Camping is just another strategy, and it can be countered pretty easily if you're smart, so I don't see why it's necessarily wrong. Good game and map design will encourage movement and make effective camping hard to do anyway.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Camping to me, could be used as a strategy. I think everything has been said here, and I agree with both Merc, Smel, and everybody else that posted so far. I don't camp. The only time I think it is acceptable to camp is if you are sniping, that's it. But for the modes like Search and Destroy, you have to camp to protect you base, and communication between teammates need to to be heavily involved, because you can easily camp, but at the same time you can easily get killed.