Defense Of Humour

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Altanzitarron, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

How many of you are guilty of, what I call the "Defense of Humour"? By this I mean when you use humour as a form of self defense. I hold my hand up high to this one. I'm constantly joking about very serious issues, I just find that the world shouldn't take itself so seriously. However it does have draw backs, Sometimes when people tell me bad news I crack a smile. I know it's a nervous response but it does come across as very insensitive sometimes. I'm sure this must be something that a lot of you are familiar with, even if not yourselves your bound to know people who use humour as a form of distancing themselves from things.
    I'm not exactly sure how healthy it is when it comes to dealing with things but my friend once said something that made a lot of sense. "If you don't laugh you cry". Comedy can be a great healer, thoughts?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

You may as well laugh at the world because you're it's favorite joke.

That's my personal quote on that.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Guilty as charged. As you said, if you're not laughing the only left for you is to cry.

4. KiethBlackLion

KiethBlackLion Registered Member

I do it a lot. I find that laughter, like an orgasm, is an incredible release. I prefer to laugh than to cry (though it does happen on occassion). It helps relieve tension and, for me, makes things easier to bare.

I have always said, you might as well laugh at yourself becuase other people sure will.

5. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I do this as a direct result of my dad who does so for that purpose.
    I don't think I do it for that reason, but I crack jokes in almost all occassions - I learned that from him.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Humor, is one of those "better" defense mechanisms. I read that the people who effectively use humor have the capacity to stand outside themselves, allowing them to tolerate situations and still be able to focus on what is happening.

7. Obdurate

Obdurate Registered Member

With you in the bold and most of your post, though I don't crack a smile when I hear bad news, at least not right away.

For some good quotes about jokes, you need not go any further than the great Kurt Vonnegut:
    "The telling of jokes is an art of its own, and it always rises from some emotional threat. The best jokes are dangerous, and dangerous because they are in some way truthful. "

"I don't think there would be many jokes, if there weren't constant frustration and fear and so forth. It's a response to bad troubles like crime."
    Though I don't tihnk a lack of fear would cause jokes to die, I see his point.

Altanzitarron likes this.
  8. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I really like that quote.

9. SunflowerSmiley

SunflowerSmiley Registered Member

I use humour as a means to cope with minor misfortunes. I do come off as insensitive sometimes, but my friends usually let me know when I'm making them upset with it.

10. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

I can laugh at almost everything, if I didn't I'm pretty sure life would suck pretty hard.