Movies Defenition of a good actor

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well this thread is pretty simply. How do you define good acting?

For me it's someone that makes you believe he's the character he's playing. Everyone knows that movies aren't real and that's the same thing with the characters in the movies. If the actor can make you believe he's the character he's portraying then he's doing a great job.

Thoughts?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

When their character is hurt or offended, backstabbed, etc you feel their pain. When they are happy you are happy for them, etc. Basically if you feel their emotions then they have done a great job of becoming the character.

Tom Hanks for example can do anything and he IS the character he plays.

3. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

Someone who makes you empathize(sp?) with what hes going though.

4. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

If an actors performance entertains me, then I consider him/her a good actor. It's one of those "know it when you see it" type of things. I'm impressed by versatile actors like Edward Norton, who can seem like an entirely different person altogether from one film to the next, but that quality plays second fiddle to an actors ability to hold my attention.

Fortunately, most versatile actors (like Norton), are also very entertaining to watch on the screen. On the other hand, there are actors like Vin Diesel that aren't excessively versatile (from what I've seen), but nevertheless have massive screen presence.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I particularly like actors that really captivate you into the movie and can express their emotions and it seems like they're in a real situation instead of just "trying" to tell you what is happening like some really bad actors do.

I like actors like Sean bean who can be a Warrior of Gondor, the captain of a plane, or the manager of a cloning facility. He can pretty much be anything that he wants.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

When people cry and I actually believe it. That's some good acting.

7. kajinpl

kajinpl Registered Member

Any actor who has the capacity to make the character he/she plays believable is worth watching. Denzel Washington is one of the best in the business,Tom Hanks is also another like Hybrix said earlier, Robin Williams has proved himself as a good actor as well. Johnny Depp, Nicholas Cage, Marcia Gay Harden, Emile Hirsch he can act in Into the Wild, Angela Basset, Regina King is a good actress when given the right role.

8. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I forgot to mention earlier the fact that I can't stand it when actors have WAY too much make up on, a good actor shouldn't need an insane amount of make up to the point where it's obvious that they are wearing make up.

I mean a little bit of make up is ok but there is definitely a point where they don't understand that they are wearing too much.