• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Defective memory

myessence

Registered Member
Is it me or is it everywhere else - I seem to encounter bad RAM sticks more and more nowadays.

It's really annoying to see your servers to gradually becoming less reliable, crashing for no apparent reason; then you spend days debugging it -- and by coincidence, found MemTest, and realized that it's bad RAM stick !! :lol:

Share your stories guys.

Lesson: only buy RAM sticks with lifetime warranty ! :nod:

Hoosierhunter

I think I have mainly PNY memory. I have encountered a few sticks in computers i've worked on for friends that didn't work right.

hemisync

Registered Member
I use kingston as well and have yet to have a problem. I do have friends that use other brands however - usually the cheap ones and they have had problems with defective memory in the past

jzan

Sometimes, I got defective RAM. I worked when i first placed it in, but after a few logging in and start ups, it just failed all of a sudden. Unfortunately, the place didn't have a warranty...I agree with the moral: only get stuff with a warranty for a long time only!!!

Reverend

Registered Member
The bigger and faster that RAM gets, the easier for it to fail. That's why most of the new RAM has fancy error correction built in...

The one thing that has always made the biggest difference for me is to ALWAYS use matching sticks. If your RAM all comes from the same manufacturer, and runs at the same clock speed, you're less likely to have issues!

Pete

Jag1

Registered Member
Yep, matching sticks make a big difference. Be careful with your slots as well, because if they're just a little dirty, or a little too humid in there, etc, it gets screwed over.

zabusoe

Yep, matching sticks make a big difference. Be careful with your slots as well, because if they're just a little dirty, or a little too humid in there, etc, it gets screwed over.
Hello, I put 10GB of memory to my PC but my PC does not run fast. Is that possible as you said.

thanks,
Soe Naing

zabusoe

Hello,
Is any body there to help my problem? My PC! I use Supermicro mainboard and Intel Quad E5335 Cpu. Even I installed 10GB of Ram(kingston), its does not Run fast.(OS is Xp profestional X64 Edition)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
StroShow General Discussion 4
Doc Computers 5
HalfEatenSurprise General Discussion 8
Babe_Ruth Baseball 13
Swiftstrike Video Games 4