• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Deep freeze for Midwest

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- It has been decades since parts of the Midwest experienced a deep freeze like the one expected to arrive Sunday, with potential record-low temperatures heightening fears of frostbite and hypothermia even in a region where residents are accustomed to bundling up.

Deep freeze expected for Midwest as frigid air heads south - CBS News
I'm not looking forward to this at all. Monday morning they are calling for a low of -2F after the rain and snow moves through. It hasn't been that cold here in a long time and when it is that cold often the electric lines will break. Plus if they are calling for -2 unless its cloudy or windy we will be more like -10 or so in this valley we live in.

They are only calling for about 3 inches of snow but I hope we aren't talking about freezing rain first. 3 inches of snow isn't anything to worry about it's the cold temperatures that will get to me. Which this isn't the coldest temps I've had to deal with. I've been in -12F with a wind chill of -60. I couldn't stand being outdoors more than a couple of minutes.

Will anyone on here be getting any of this? What's the coldest temps you have had to deal with?

dDave

V.I.P.
I think we've seen temps as low as -30 here at night, so bad we had to seal up the ventilation to the utility room.

It's pretty cold here right now. 16 if my thermometer is correct.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I bet it does get cold in the Rockies at night in winter even when I was out there in July camping I've been snowed on. That was a first for me, we were camped up pretty high just below the timber line.

I think its 29 right now that is why I don't see how it going to rain and not freeze on things possibly knocking out our power. So if I'm not here tomorrow you will know what happened.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The high for Monday is supposed to be around -9 or -11 or something with wind chills much colder than that. They're probably going to close the schools.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
So far we are getting rain not freezing rain, glad they were right about that. The snow hasn't arrived here yet its hanging just to the north. Wish it would stay there.

-9 for a high that's crazy Mayor, glad I don't live where you do. This summer I'm sure I'll change my mind about that. Sometimes I envy birds for their ability to migrate.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Eh... How cold is it going to get? It's going to get pretty cold where I live, but nothing that we haven't seen several times over the last several years. In fact, it was much colder back around February 1st of 2011 when it got down to -30. We aren't even expecting negative temperatures this time around.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Its been regular -40 and lower for the last month or so here. Cold enough, after just 10 minutes outside, my moustache is frosted up and eyelashes frozen. I just stay home when its this cold. Its just too hard to be outside lol. Your skin burns in this cold.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sucks to hear people are dying from this

I know we are supposed to have a high of around 0 degrees F tomorrow and that's just ridiculous. Gonna get around a foot of snow today too.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I couldn't stand to be outside at all if it were that cold here. Even if it was just going to the car. Which how does your car even warm up enough to keep you warm or get it started to begin with in that cold of weather.

They are saying 16 people have died so far.

Storms have killed 16 in the US and temperatures are set to reach lows not seen for a generation | The Raw Story
Block heaters. Everyone plugs their vehicle in at night.

16 people died? They were probably homeless people. We get that here in Winnipeg. Homeless people aren't able to get out of the cold. This time of year, cities really need to just open up places for them to get out of the cold. Even if they can't serve food or whatever. Just offer a place for them to step out of the cold to avoid frostbite for awhile.