Decorative Chess Sets

Discussion in 'Cards & Board Games' started by Mirage, Jan 24, 2014.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

If you're going for a really generic looking chess set then the one you selected will certainly do the job well.

If it was me then I'd want to really add some character to a room with a chess set.

I'd honestly go with something like one of these. Don't judge :lol:.

[​IMG]

^There are tons of media themed chess sets to choose from, this one just happens to be my personal favorite.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, I said "decorative" because I want to leave the set out on an end table for decoration. I'm wanting something more traditional and classic for that reason.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

As cool as that looks, I think a nice traditional wooden set is a lot more elegant. Besides, that thing looks incredibly impractical for game use. It's hard to tell the pieces apart.

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Impractical, yes. There's a reason why everyone that plays chess competitively uses a very basic looking set. You don't need the distractions of the incredibly well built and elegant pieces. :lol:

The title of this thread includes the word "decorative" though ;) A decorative chess set is supposed to look good, it's not really meant for playing though it can certainly be used. I guess LOTR chess is something that I think would look really good in a room :lol:

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Well like I said, I think nice wooden sets look good enough to be decorative, and they have the added benefit of being good for play.

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I would love to have one in a sitting room/den type area. I used to have a small marble set that disappeared with a bunch of my other stuff.

IMO marble or some kind of gemstone would be the way to go.

7. Impaired

Impaired Registered Member

I don't have a photo handy, will take one eventually and post it, but i have a lovely set I bought my father when I was stationed in Spain. Metal pieces made from antique hardware, mostly nails and washers with heavy nuts for the base. The king is a flamenco player holding a guitar and the queen is a flamenco dancer with bet fork tines for hair. One side black, one side bright copper.