Decline Situps

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mirage, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I have an old total gym from the 90's and it basically can tilt at up to a 45 degree angle. At the top there is a place to put your feet and a way to strap yourself in.

Then, you can basically do situps at a 45 degree angle. I did about 30 of these yesterday and plan to do some more today. It's definitely a good ab exercise.

For those who go to the gym, I'm sure there is something similar you can use there. I'm not up to date on gym equipment though.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

That used to be my favorite ab workout. However, now I do not have the bench and end up doing crunches and leg lifts. And kicking from class helps on that too.

3. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

I love to decline sit-ups. Decline DOING sit-ups, that is. A friend of mine once asked me to show him how many sit-ups I could do. I declined. :lol:

4. Mirage

Ok, that doesn't quite count... :lol:

I just did 50 of these about an hour ago in 5 sets of 10. Hopefully I wake up feeling like it did something. (a.k.a. wake up sore haha)

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I did these at the gym last night. I have a need to do 100 of whatever exercise I'm doing, so I did 5 sets of 20.
    I don't feel that it's a great ab workout, but I do think it does a little something.

6. Mirage

I found a much worse way to do these. This is more of a vertical situp than a decline situp:

YouTube - Vertical sit-ups on tree

I'm not sure how safe it is to do it the way this guy did though. If you got really burned out you might fall and hurt yourself. I think securing yourself somehow is the way to go.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I've never heard of doing a sit-up like that Hybrix and I damn sure am never going to try to attempt one.

8. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

OK, but I think you're probably talking about inclining (not declining) sit-ups.
    When I was young I used to do something similar, but we called them "atomic" sit-ups. You sit right on the edge of a bench, which is about knee-high, and sit facing away from the edge. You get someone else to hold your ankles, and then you bend over backwards until your head touches the floor. Then you have to bring yourself all the way up until you can touch your knees with your elbows.
    Try 50 straight reps of that and you'll know you've been exercising.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I do decline sit-ups at my gym from time to time. I usually do two sets of 25 with a weight of 25lbs in my hands. It burns by the end thats for sure. A sit up technique that I would like to try is this.

YouTube - Rocky IV Hearts On Fire

Look at 1:18

10. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

It's one of my favourite ab exercises, although I don't/can't do them as often as I'd like to.

I learned the technique in the sports module of my Public Services course at college.