Declamation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redsoxocd, Feb 20, 2008.

1. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

Have any of you guys ever had to do a Declamation in school (just a fancy way for saying "memorize something and recite it to your class"). My school makes a HUGE deal out of Declamation. We have to do it for class 3 times a year during Freshman and Sophmore years. And then every term there is a declamation contest where I think you can win scholorship money or something like that. We even have to dress up in professional attire for it. Basically, declamation in my school is only second behind maybe JCL.

Last term I declamed the "People will come" speech that Terrance Mann (James Earl Jones) gave in Field of Dreams. Sticking with the theme of baseball, this term I am declaming Ted Williams HOF speech. When I choose this I didnt know how hard it would be to memorize it. I know most of it but its like Williams but a ton of small words in it that you would expect to be other words (like "this" instead of "that"). Its a great speech but its just proving to be wicked hard to learn. And I have to know it by Monday, eh, I volunteered to go first so hopefully that will ease my nerves about it a little more.

But yeah, have any of you guys ever have to do this in school?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I have never heard of such a thing. I wish this kind of thing had been done when I was in high school, it sounds fun.

good luck.

3. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Nope. I never even heard of 'declamation' before. Sorry.

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Nope. All of the speeches that I've written have used not cards or were impromptu.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I had to do that when I was in six grade, it was pretty boring, and I didn't really work hard on it, and when it was my time to present, I went up there and made almost everything up. But the sucky thing about that is the next day I had to write everything down on a piece of paper that I said during my oral presentation.

6. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

Yeah, we had to do shit from Shakespear's Midsummer Night's Dream and crap. I hated those things with a passion. Movie speeches would have been awesome.

7. redsoxocd

lol, that sucks. That would never work at my school because you have to turn in your piece 3 weeks before you declame.

Since my school makes such a big deal out of it its a lot of fun..well its fun if you actually like standing up in front of people and saying stuff. Some people freak out about it too much though b/c its a whole other grade on our report card (only A+ that I managed to get last term).

I love doing it. Partly b/c I love giving speeches.:nod::D
    ------
    yeah it sucks when your told what to do. We always get to choose our pieces.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  8. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Memorizing and repeating is one of the worst ways to present something, IMO. Unless you're really into it, you'll just sound like a robot or someone who's obviously reading the lines in his mind. It's either going to be really awesome or really sad.

Can I ask what the point of this is? Is it just for scholarship opportunity or an actual grade?

oh yeah. Our school definitely doesn't do this. I doubt anybody has the mental capacity to memorize entire literary pieces.

9. redsoxocd

If you enter the contest its for scholarship money (i think)

but mainly its for a grade on your report card. Seeing "Declamation - A+" on that piece of paper makes me smile.

And of course you have to put something into it instead of jut memorizing and reciting...how else would we expect to get an A.:D

10. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

We had to do the preamble once...

I think I still remember it.

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, promote the general welfare, provide for the common defence, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity,
    do ordain this Constitution of the United States of America"

Im not too fond of memorizing things, but I still remember it (i think thats right...).

Too bad its useless info.