Debate stifling smears

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by SmilinSilhouette, Apr 7, 2010.

1. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

In order to avoid derailing MIT's valuable debate regarding Glenn Beck I will start a new thread to discuss Tuck's post.

I am SO tired of the anti-debate smear technique to try and perpetuate the lie that it is racism that is the underpinning of the Tea Party. Are we so naive to believe the lie if it is repeated often enough? I hope not!

Let us not forget recent threats against Republicans, the hatred of Bush, etc, etc.

Man arrested in death threat against Republican congressman | The Columbus Dispatch

Threats against lawmakers spread after health vote - Yahoo! News

Weasel Zippers: Black Dem Rep. Who Was Reportedly Spit on by Tea Party Protester: I Never Claimed to Have Been Spit on Intentionally, Others Are Making the Claim on My Behalf, Refuses to Confirm it Happened..(Update) He's Full of Shit...

And I so loved the YouTube posted with one picture of one sign that could be construed as racist or it could be construed as a complaint about knee-jerk reactive spending. In this video the person speaking uses blatantly racist terms to decry racism:

"...its just a bunch of redneck backwoods racists"

Can we get beyond the name calling, PLEASE!

Just because some think that we are Taxed Enough Already, are against reckless government spending and expansion of entitlements, do not support the president or his radical agenda does not make them a racist.
    ------
    I also wonder, are these folks racists as well?

Black conservative tea party backers take heat

Really, let's get real. I think that we can discuss these topics based upon their merits, make our points, and agree or agree to disagree without resorting to the stereotypical smears intended to dismiss those with whom we disagree.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I hadn't even seen this thread, SS. I do believe that most people are of the mindset that if you repeat lies over and over again that magically become true. I'm also amazed at the selective memory of most people in regards to threats made.

I don't know, SS, I would hope debate could be done honestly and without smears but I think that's asking for a little too much.