Debate III: Final Countdown

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I know that we are going through unprecedented economic situations, but I had hoped that the debate would have gone into social and other domestic issues such as border control for example. Nothing wrong with the economy and war talk, it was just well covered in the first 2 debates and since this one is going to be about the economy and domestic policy, I would guess they will be covering some ground that's already been covered pretty well.

My goal for this debate is to not fall asleep regardless of how dull it gets.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Historically, debates have at best changed public opinion by a couple of points. Given the margin that Obama is currently up by, any serious changes will emerge elsewhere.

I hope they at least cover some new ground. It's not like we don't have shit to talk about- plenty has happened in the past eight years.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Since its an economy forum, I would like to see Schieffer really lay it out on the table:
"The new budget that hit Oct 1 has a $407 Billion dollar deficient. Our trade imbalance is about $2 Billion/day. Congress is proposing another $300 Billion dollar stimulus package. With all of this and the $700B bailout how are you guys going to pay for anything that you've proposed? Do either of you have a real plan to curb these imbalances?"
I hope that every time Obama or McCain talk about any new plan Schieffer comes back with "How are we going to pay for that?" If he can make these guys commit to PAYGO that would be wonderful. Not that I'm sure it would mean anything a year from now.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Just watched the replay and it's a good thing that they were able to lay out their plans more when it comes to domestic policy.
I thought this was the best debate by far.

We found out yesterday that this year's deficit will reach an astounding record high $455 billion. Some experts say it could go to $1 trillion next year.
Both of you have said you want to reduce the deficit, but the nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget ran the numbers on both of your proposals and they say the cost of your proposals, even with the savings you claim can be made, each will add more than $200 billion to the deficit.
Aren't you both ignoring reality? Won't some of the programs you are proposing have to be trimmed, postponed, even eliminated?
Give us some specifics on what you're going to cut back.
Thank you Bob! Couldn't have said it better myself. Well, actually, I preferred my wording, but that's ok.
I was very pleased with McCain's answer to this question. Overall, I just really liked McCain. I had never considered voting for Obama, but I have really been questioning if I can vote for Mac. I really came out of this debate with a confidence for McCain. I think there was an undercurrent to the debate of the workers verses the small business owners. I'm in the latter and that really influenced my approval of McCain.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I think it's safe to say that Sen. McCain has the fidgety eyebrow twitcher vote locked up now, although in the process of nailing down that prized demographic he may have lost a few of the people who live to hear the phrase "my friends" repeated over and over and over and over. He said it 22 times in the previous debate and I didn't hear it once tonight... hmm. Hey, could it be that it's NOT a natural thing for him to say?

It was Sen. Obama who won the Battle of the Overused Expression tonight, with "Well, look..." being uttered a mere three times, but grouped together in a fifteen-minute space to make it sound like twice as many. I hope he doesn't burn that phrase out as our 44th president.

That's right, I'm calling it. President Obama. The intensely superstitious are welcome to blame (or thank) me for jinxing him, should my prediction somehow turn out to be incorrect.

Anyway, here are the raw numbers from CNN.com. Obama's fans, methinks, will be more likely to appreciate the chuckle found in the final paragraph:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/15/debate.poll/index.html said:
A majority of debate watchers think Sen. Barack Obama won the third and final presidential debate, according to a national poll conducted right afterward. Fifty-eight percent of debate watchers questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll said Democratic candidate Obama did the best job in the debate, with 31 percent saying Republican Sen. John McCain performed best.

The poll also suggests that debate watchers' favorable opinion of Obama rose slightly during the debate, from 63 percent at the start to 66 percent at the end. The poll indicates that McCain's favorables dropped slightly, from 51 percent to 49 percent.

The economy was the dominant issue of the debate, and 59 percent of debate watchers polled said Obama would do a better job handling the economy, 24 points ahead of McCain.

During the debate, McCain attacked Obama's stance on taxes, accusing Obama of seeking tax increases that would "spread the wealth around." But by 15 points, 56 percent to 41 percent, debate watchers polled said Obama would do a better job on taxes. By a 2-1 margin, 62 percent to 31 percent, debate watchers said Obama would do a better job on health care.

Sixty-six percent of debate watchers said Obama more clearly expressed his views, with 25 percent saying McCain was more clear about his views.
By 23 points, those polled said Obama was the stronger leader during the debate. By 48 points, they said Obama was more likeable.

McCain won in two categories. Eighty percent of debate watchers polled said McCain spent more time attacking his opponent, with seven percent saying Obama was more on the attack. Fifty-four percent said McCain seemed more like a typical politician during the debate, with 35 percent saying Obama acted more like a typical politician.