Debate #3: Is John Cena the biggest star in the WWE?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright it's now time for our third debate. Now this topic might get very heated, because I am sure there's a few members that have strong feelings about this subject. So I will keep a close eye and if some flamming or baiting start than I won't be afraid to give you a warning or even an infraction if it gets to that point.

Keep it civalized.

Debate...

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This all depends on the definition of "Biggest Star".

I certainly don't take it to mean "talented" I take it to mean popular which if that's what we're defining it as, absolutely he's the most popular, there's no doubt about that. In terms of talent? Not even top 10. Entertainment value? Top 5. "Biggest star" is a loaded term and has multiple definitions depending on what you believe.

In my opinion, he's lame, boring, stale and needs to turn heel or do something that finally makes him interesting. However, a lot of fans seem to love him so in that respect, he is the biggest star.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Cons, you're not going to believe this but I do agree with you here. Shocker of the day I'm sure haha.

Here's the thing with turning him heel. Where I do agree he needs a change of pace I dont think WWE is willing to do it right now. The merchandise Cena generates from girls and young kids is, I'm sure, extremely high. I dont have proof of that but that's what I gather. WWE is catering to these kids and therefore Cena is their hero.

I think somewhere down the line, in a year or 2 maybe, a heel turn by Cena would be epic. Maybe not as awesome as Hogan's in 1996 but still it would crush so many kids feelings. It would be awesome. I think if they did it now it would be awesome but I dont see it happening yet.

I guess the one thing that I disagree with people on Cena is when they talk about the 5 moves of doom and there are some people who hate this promos. I dont think Cena is terrible in the ring and I dont think he's awesome in the ring...he's kind of in the middle. There are a lot of times where cena comes off extremely corny on the mic but agian he's catering to children and guys dont like it. I think sometimes he gets a little ridiculous when he tries to be motivational.

So I guess I do hear the critics and I understand the critics but it won't change the fact John Cena is the biggest name in wrestling today.

4. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Yes. Unfortunately.

As for defining 'biggest' star, i'd say there are two factors. Biggest cheer, and selling most merchandise. Cena is most likely the answer to both of those. It's hard to deny that he's the biggest star, whether you like him or not.

As for why he's the biggest star at the moment... The WWE is pushing him as a super-face, and as annoying and cheesy as that might be to a lot of the older wrestling fans, the kids eat that shit up. And at the moment the kids seem to be the market to aim for.

I agree he needs a heel turn. A lot of the little kids that cheer him now will forget him in a few years, and so far, as far as i'm concerned, he's done nothing to be considered a 'great' wrestler. And nobody can stay at the top without adapting and changing. Hogan wouldn't have stayed at the top if he didn't turn heel, and The Rock definitely wouldn't have stayed at the top if he didn't turn heel. I'm sure it'll come eventually, but i guess WWE are gonna wait til Cena's merchandise sales start slowing down...

5. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

I certainly hope he isn't. He's one of the worst in ring performers in the game today with his opponents needing to carry him match after match. God willing Triple H still does more in merchandise sales but somehow I doubt it. The only people in the stands rooting for him are little kids who not only don't know any better but who shouldn't be at a wrestling show, and obese fugly women who for whatever delusional reason think they have a chance of getting in bed with him. In a perfect world MC Whitey would just do the wrestling business a favor and turn heel, not just because there's a contingent that's been booing him as a face for the past few years, but rather because I think if he becomes the ring general in a heel role he can re-invent himself in the ring and perhaps in some other ways. The best thing that may of happened to Austin and The Rock's careers were their heel runs after a good number of years as main event faces, so why not follow suit?

6. Millz

You are the stereotypical anti-Cena fan...moreso then I've ever seen! lol.

7. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

lol I was thinking the same thing. No offense meant, just that you fit into the role with perfection!

I think Cena needs to go heel, and I'm sick of his somewhat stale state, but I still am always entertained. You can't deny his stardom just because you're not a fan, and his appeal is definitely not limited to kids and "chunky women." They might buy the most merchandise, but he entertains the hell out of everybody. Whether you're cheering him or booing him, he's entertaining you. :)

8. Millz

Yeah, no offense meant from me either. It's just uncanny...the exact same thing I hear other people say over the internet all the time. And I, obviously, disagree 100%.

The face of the franchise, John Cena, is the perfect role model. I dont know when Vince is gonna pull the trigger...it might be a long time.

Like Unity, I am a male in his 20's and I find Cena entertaining and I appreciate what he brings. Did I cheer when he lost last night? Yes, but It was moreso because that cemented Edge's 8th title reign :)

9. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

I disagree with you 150%

#1 - If you're good enough in this business you will generate revenue regardless of whether or not you're a face or a heel. Ask Flair, ask Austin, ask Taker, ask Hunter, ask HBK, ask Rock, ask Jericho.

#2 - And I don't care how heartless this sounds, I do not care about kids watching wrestling and having MC Whitey as their hero, and I don't care if they have their feelings crushed. Kids should not be watching wrestling, period. And MC Whitey should not be a role model. What's he teaching a six year old? To flip the bird, curse people out, and beat up others? Could you imagine if anyone even considered someone like Austin a role model for kids? Well what's the real difference? The only guys in the business who come remotely close to being role models in my book are Rey Mysterio and CM Punk (just for preaching the straight edge lifestyle), but even with all that I don't think they should be role models either.

#3 - He's a below average wrestler and that's being kind. His typical one on one matchups are terribly predictable - He gets beatdown, makes the miraculous comeback, hits his five moves 'o shit and that's that. Shade of Hulk Hogan and unfortunately of Bret Hart (though it should of never been that way), maybe that kind of crap worked years ago and will still get over with dumbfuck marks, but to the legit fan it doesn't work.

The hack is going to get viciously booed by fans in the northeast and nearby (Chicago, Ohio per example), fans who tend to be keen to the business and who want legit wrestling back instead of the dogshit MC Whitey provides. And if you're getting booed as a face at MSG, which Vince still considers the mecca and the barometer for how a performer is doing, then no matter what you're in trouble.

10. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I only quoted one and two because these are the comments I especially disagree with.

Regarding 1, I think that if Cena turned heel a ton of people would still buy his merch. He'd still have that big charisma and talent to offer, and the people that boo him now would probably turn right around and hit the WWEShop stands to buy his bad guy shirt.

Regarding 2, When did you get into professional wrestling??? I'd say that around 90% (just a guess) of wrestling fans were exposed to the industry when they were kids. Some of wrestling always has to be geared towards the youth. Without kids, we wouldn't even have the in-ring competitors! How many of them were exposed to the WWE as children and have stories about events that molded their careers?!