Debate #2: Should Undertaker lose at Wrestlemania?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright, the first debate was really good, we have good arguments. I think this one should be just as good.

Do you believe that The Undertaker should lose at Wrestlemania?

Debate

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

No.

Nothing works as a better letdown than to kill something that has been going for almost two decades now. Taker's legacy is filled with all sorts of accolades, but his streak at Wrestlemania is a big part of that and losing it is not something I'd like to see happen. I understand this lame "passing of the reigns" sort of thing, but I don't see it working with the fans.

When a man works that hard for that long and puts in that much hard work, he deserves a legend like this. If Taker is for it, then I guess I will be too, but I'd rather see him persevere and go out a true legend of the business.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I dont think when the streak started that they had plans for it to continue this long and it actually happened by accident. Now, it's a huge deal. What would be huger though? Someone ENDING the streak.

That person would be immortal in the eyes of wrestling fans. Jericho gloats about being the first undisputed champion but I think this beats that if it were to happen.

The Undertaker, IMO, doesn't need to the streak to cement a legacy in the WWE. He's already a hall of famer and he's done it all. I do think if Undertaker is adament about not losing it that I would take that into consideration although Vince needs to have the best interest of his company in mind.

Here's the problem though. Who beats Undertaker?

Edge: Lost
    Orton: Lost
    Batista: Lost
    Kane: Lost...twice

Cena? It's gotta be someone you trust isn't going to pull a Lesnar or a Lashley and that's a legitimate concern.

4. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

At this point no. There have been a number of times where they built up the story well enough around Takers road to Maina where I thought there might be a chance that he'd lose - Kane (1st time), Ric Flair, Randy Orton seem to stand out. Lets also note that there was a point where Kane was being considered to end the streak, but apparently Glen said he didn't want to.

On the other hand the streak might be a little overrated in the sense that there were some matchups where you just knew Taker was going to have a layup win - Sid, Big Boss Man, and Mark Henry come to mind there.

5. Merc

If Taker lost to Cena, I'd officially end my care towards the WWE. I'd call TNA the superior promotion even.

6. Millz

You're telling me you'd be shocked if that were to happen though? Cena is still young and he's obviously dedicated to wrestling and ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

I dont think John needs the rub though.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think it needs to be beaten, but the WWE as to be careful who they choose to break that streak.

I think it has to be an up coming wrestler, someone that as a lot of potential. I don't think it should be Cena because he's already established as a wrestler. I personally believe it should be someone like DiBiase, not right now, but maybe in a year or two. I think he's one of most gifted young stars in the WWE and the sky is limit for this kid. What better way to give him a huge push than beating the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Also it has to be done fair and square, don't ruin it by making him win with the assistance of someone else.

Like Millz said, the Undertaker doesn't need this streak to be known as a legend in the WWE, he's definitely going to be inducted into the hall of fame. He resumé speaks for itself.

I think it needs to end.

8. Merc

Cena is not even in the same universe as Taker in terms of legacy and impact on the business. He's far from deserving an honor like that.

9. Millz

If they are going to do it you cannot wait too long. Beating an old, beaten down Undertaker isn't the same as beating him when he's in his prime. So, like DiBiase, maybe someday but when? Where will he be in two years? Will Undertaker have retired by then?

Well duh, but you cant have Shawn Michaels or Triple H do it. I dont think if he's beaten it'll be by anybody that's had the same impact he had on the business. It's almost impossible.

10. Merc

BR, why does it need to end? Why does he need to end his streak just to give someone else a push? That seems like a really poor reason. Like I said, the streak is Taker's hard work and sweat, why kill it?