Death

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Malificus, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

This isn't a topic about what comes with death, but rather, what is an appropriate avatar of death?

Is the grim reaper really the best representation of death, or would something else be more appropriate?

I don't really have a stance beyond I don't like the grim reaper that much.

Also, what other avatars of death are there around the world?
    ------
    Oh yeah, I just remembered one I like, Azreal, the angel of death from Hebrew and islamic lore:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008

2. booku

booku Registered Member

Thats the depiction of death that comes to my mind, the angel of death. Another is the one in a video game called XIII with a midget grim reaper running around singing at the top of it's voice. The angel of death seems more of a neutral figure, doesn't represent such a dark mood or violent depiction of death but a more gentle passing between this world and the next.

3. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

4. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

[​IMG]

How can anyone one person miss the point so completely without trying?
    ------
    Avatars of death as in physical/graphic manifestations of the abstract concept and/or supernatural being that is the end of all life.
    ------
    Also, since you completely missed this too,

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

yes I realize that you said that you don't particularly like the grim reaper, regardless that's what I think you should have to represent death, it'll be a lot more recognizable. But if you want something else don't listen to me.

6. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

7. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

oh, that made me giggle.
    You know thats a good question though, it inspired me to glance at wikipedia, they mention the Grim Reaper, Azrael (angel of death), and Father Time.

For the most part cultures use some sort of shepherd like figure for the avatar of death, like Anubis in Egyptian religion who watched over tombs.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

dDave, he's not talking about a forum avatar, he's talking about a visual representation of death.

I think it was in Terry Pratchett's Good Omens where the horseman of Death was personified as a very handsome, well-dressed man in a white suit. For some reason, I like that one more than the reaper.

9. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

No, in good omens, death was an ominous voice. It had no physical form. It was simply everywhere.

The handsome man was pollution if I remember correctly.

10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Most death pictures I see have a skeleton/skull representing it. Unless you count Brad Pitt in Meet Joe Black. :lol:

I tried to search for other representations of death but got this instead. :-/ (warning: not for the superstitious)