Death row inmates finding God in their last moments

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by sandee, May 20, 2008.

1. sandee

sandee Registered Member

Why is it the death row inmates always seem to find God in the end? I know there are other beliefs out there so why is it God is the only one they seem to find?
    Being a christian I would say because Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
    MenInTights likes this.

2. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

Quoting a song -

"You know that nine out of ten inmates in death row are all.. ultra religious"
    "Thats because thier about die and meet whatevers at their death"
    "It's funny how they wait untill it's too late and their about to fucking die"

After all else we choose god, why would he help us if he is at the last of our list?

ED: to answer your question.. God is forgiving and remorseful so the christian faith would be the only religion to turn to.
    But how can you say that your religion is the only path to enternal life?
    What makes you so certain to undermind all others faith in the world?
    I grew up christian so dont bother explaining your faith just watch how you word statements so as not to piss everybody off thats not christian.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  3. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

People generally get more religious as they near the end of their lives. Maybe because the whole idea of no afterlife is scary to them, maybe because short of God they have no way to gain forgiveness for their actions.

My grandmother's more religious than my mother, who is more religious than me. There seems to be a correlation.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah, it's not a surprise. There's no correlation between them finding God and whether or not it's the "right" choice, God is just the one that chances are, they learned about as children.

Major and MenInTights like this.
  5. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

This is a great question. I would love to see some data on it as to how many death row inmates become Christian compared to the number that become any other religion. My gut says the numbers are overwhelming.

The answer in my mind is Christianity is the only religion that offers forgiveness of sin without having to earn it. Sitting in a quiet cell, you've got a lot of time to think about what you did and that would drive you to repentance. You don't get that with Buddha. Everybody knows people that die a slow death due to cancer and they never "find God". Perhaps it is because they are not staring at a wall all day thinking about why they are there.

garret likes this.
  6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I don't think it takes a genius to figure out why they do this. It's the survival instinct, simple as that.
    Who wants to face the prospect of death without hope for an afterlife, a continuation of who we are?
    Most of these criminals live a life of guilt with no thought regarding consequence. Once they have time to realize that their reign will come to an end, they grasp at whatever hope is offered to them..in most cases, a forgiving God.
    Too bad they didn't consider their mortality before committing the crimes.

I say, "good riddance"

7. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I would agree with Spence about sitting in a cell and thought about what you did and I'm sure some inmates are sorry for what they did and ask God for forgiveness.

8. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Seriously? I highly doubt most of them are truly sorry and are looking for any real form of forgiveness.
    They are just trying to find a way to extend their wasted lives.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Most of the time, it has nothing to do with being truly sorry. It's like Angel said, it's survival instinct. Some deep rooted religious beliefs in them awaken and they decide they don't want to go to hell.

10. sandee

sandee Registered Member

I apoligize, I usually try not to undermine others beliefs. But my statement is in MY opinion and beliefs only.
    I do know there are other beliefs out there that is why I asked the question, of all the beliefs why is only God called on in the end?
    ------
    Well I have not found any stats to back this up but I have been researching this for quite some time and out of say 500 last statements fro death row inmates across the US, they all seem to claim God or Jesus Christ as their savior. There were a few maybe 10 that claimed Allah. It just makes one wonder with all the different beliefs and religions why is God always called upon.
    I agree that the majority of the DR inmates are just merely trying to grasp on to the hope that they will go on in another life and be forgiven for their crimes. I must say that some do truly in my opinion repent of their sins and crimes but most are just sorry they got caught and want a way out. We are talking about people who have murdered and raped and tortured people, what do they really deserve for that. God is a forgiving God and I do believe that if your true in your repentance you can be forgiven but I myself have a problem with the fact that these murderers may have a place in heaven with say Mother Teresa the people who given their entire lives to God. So you will have one who used his/her entire life to commit crime after horrible crime, sin after sin sitting in heaven with the truly righteous. What is right about that?
    I think the DR inmates have made their bed so to speak so they have to lie in it now. They had their whole lives to turn to God instead they chose to take someones life.
    I have heard the bleeding hearts say we need to give these DR inmates another chance as they are human beings, I say bull they chose the life of crime they chose to kill so they are where they belong and need to be given the chair or the needle.
    As to someones comment about their grandmother and mother and self's declining religious beliefs, tell me is that because of lack of the religion being in your life or lack of intrest? Just curious.

Last edited: May 21, 2008