• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Death Penalty

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This thread isn't about if you support the death penalty or not, so let's leave all those type of discussion out of this thread.

My question is do you believe that death penalty help reduce the number of serious crimes?

shelgarr

Registered Member
No I don't think it's a deterrent at all but only because it isn't swift enough. In fact, jail time seems hardly a deterrent these days. With a record high number of crimes committed, something has gone awry with our system. This "innocent-until-proven-guilty" concept is taken to an extreme. Even in the case they are caught red-handed they can claim "not guilty". Punishments should be fast and fit the crime.

dDave

V.I.P.
I feel as if the American justice system is a joke, it needs some pretty serious work, there are parts of it that make no sense whatsoever.

No matter what you do they always feel like they can just put somebody in prison where they get free food, housing, and don't have to do much of anything, it's called being a freeloader.

How much more would you think about committing a crime if you knew that the penalty was death rather than 30 years of freeloading?

Though I agree that it should be quite a bit more swift (and even more sophisticated) I think that the death penalty helps the number of serious crimes go down.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I personally don't think it's really about reducing crime. To me, the death penalty is for incurable cases. Not drug dealers, not tax evaders but truly disturbed individuals who show no true ability to reenter society.

Wade8813

Registered Member
People want to avoid the death penalty, so we know it is some amount of a motivating factor. The question is whether or not it's a sufficient motivator to reduce crimes. I would guess that it is (in some situations).

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
People want to avoid the death penalty, so we know it is some amount of a motivating factor. The question is whether or not it's a sufficient motivator to reduce crimes. I would guess that it is (in some situations).
You know me, I love to quote Carlin and he makes a really obvious point that most of us don't seem to get at first when it comes to this but the people we kill with the death penalty are never the types that are afraid to die. Drug dealers, gang members, murderers, these guys aren't afraid to die, they kill each other every day on the streets. Death only works on those afraid to die (obviously).

Wade8813

Registered Member
You know me, I love to quote Carlin and he makes a really obvious point that most of us don't seem to get at first when it comes to this but the people we kill with the death penalty are never the types that are afraid to die. Drug dealers, gang members, murderers, these guys aren't afraid to die, they kill each other every day on the streets. Death only works on those afraid to die (obviously).
I agree that death only works on those afraid to die, but many of the people you listed are quite averse to dying.

Gang members kill each other - but many of them still fight really hard not to be the one getting killed (admittedly not the brightest way of trying to stay alive, but nobody ever accused a gangster of being bright)

Drug dealers sometimes fit into the gang member category (and some actually are gang members). But some just see it as a business. They have no interest in dying.

And how often do murderers actually kill each other?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Gang members kill each other - but many of them still fight really hard not to be the one getting killed (admittedly not the brightest way of trying to stay alive, but nobody ever accused a gangster of being bright)
And nobody would be a gangster if they were afraid to die. They're ready to die for their gang. Once again, I think you're being a bit literal here Wade. I never said 'they want to die' which is what your logic suggests. I said they're not afraid to die. Being a drug dealer is a big risk (I'm not talking about tokers sitting in mom's basement selling to his high school friends here) and being in a gang is never about being part of a group, it's about eternal loyalty and the willingness to die for it.

These people know they may die doing what they do but that's because they usually have nothing to live for. That's why I tend to think of it as not necessarily a punishment, but mostly about removing people from society who cannot be helped any further.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Death for Death? American judicial system is beyond a joke. I would rather have the accused rot in jail than be shown the easy way of the death penalty.

Comet

Registered Member
My question is do you believe that death penalty help reduce the number of serious crimes?
Logic tells you the death penalty does deter crime to a certain degree. What percentage it curves it is obviously unknown. However the important fact to take away from this is the death penalty isn't designed for prevention. It's designed for punishment.