Death of a friend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiei, May 22, 2009.

1. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I just got a call from my brother and he said that our mutual friend died. Apparently, my friend and another friend went to a bar in Canada and when they were leaving, my one friend hauled ass away and the other friend lost him. Well, he decided to climb a building at some point, fell off and died. Tragic accident, and my other friend is taking it pretty hard. Asking all the what if questions.

It feels like a part of me died when I heard this. He was an excellent friend, and a great guy to have known. This is sad news, even for me.

But to keep this a thread that other people can post on with out asking for sympathy, I have to ask if anyone else has lost a friend. Tragically or not, have you ever had a friend die?

Personally, this is the first actual friend that I've lost. I've seen loads of people die, and even had two people in my graduating class die before I graduated. I'm not sensitive to death in the least, but this feels different. It's actually hitting close to home. I'm not going to be able to go to his viewing because I can't even take time off of work for it being that he isn't related to me and will most likely be viewed and buried in Pennsylvania and I'm in Arizona.

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I'm sorry for your loss. That's really awful. :(

The only friend I ever lost was back in school when I was about 9. He died of cancer and we all thought he would pull through as he came back to school after chemo and was his normal self. I was too young to understand it all at the time but we were all very sad to lose him.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Like Bliss said I am sorry for your lost.

I never had a real close friend die, which I am very fortunate. But I know it's going to happen one does I know it's going to be hard to handle.

Hang in there my friend and you'll get through this.

4. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I have had a lot of loss in my life. My biggest being my brother and of course I definitely considered him a friend. Then I had a friend murdered which was really tragic and sad the way the story was and the way things happened and my boyfriend at the time shot himself in the head accidentally while at work and died as a result.

Those were the 3 most random/tragic and the 3 that hit the hardest for me. Beyond that there have been friends that died in car accidents, 1 suicide, and then I have lost many family members in the past few years. *edit* like Impact, our high school lost an outrageous number of students in our years there but those weren't nearly as close to me, and it always seems that our school has always had a high loss rate.

I am sorry about your loss Hiei, I know things like this are such a shock and can hit really hard. I hope that you are okay, and be sure to take care of yourself <3

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  5. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Hang in there bud, it's a long trip, but in the end you'll have only good things to remember from him.

I'm in the same boat as Oh Snap, I've seen a lot of friends/family die/killed in my life. I've lost 4 friends, including one earlier this year. I've also lost now, two very close family members to me. Our high school graduating class saw the death of 6 students while in high school. It was a tough time, but in the end, everytime you learn that the best thing you can do is just remember all the good times you had with your friend.

6. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I've had a few friends pass, one due to a car accident, and 3 to suicide. None of them were really that close, but it still had an impact.
    One that hit really close for me, was when my ex had a drunken accident. He was walking home, got too close to the railings on the piazza, lost his balance and fell. What made it worse was that I wasn't able to make it to the funeral, and never got my chance to say goodbye.

Like everyone, i'm sorry for your loss. Be strong and you'll pull through.

7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I'm sorry, but how do you accidentally shoot yourself in the head while at work? What did he do for a living that that was even possible? I'm not trying to make light of it, but I'm just curious.

And thanks, guys. I just wish that I could go to his viewing. I haven't seen him in about two or three years because he went into the Army, but we've been friends since childhood. It's like when my uncle killed himself. I just want to go say my final words, and pay my final respects.
    ------
    You're absolutely right about that. I've seen quite a few deaths to me, and at the beginning of this year, my uncle killed himself. I wasn't able to make it to that funeral, either, but that's what I've been doing since then. Just trying to remember the best things about him and remembering all the good times. I still miss him, but it helps. And I'm trying to do the same with my friend. Nothing's going to bring him back except for the memories.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  8. Oooh_snap

His family owned a row of stores check cashing, pawn shop, and a jewelry store and he made jewelry for them, but they kept a gun under each register in case of robbery, but they put them away at night in case they were robbed over night the guns would not be stolen and when he was reaching under to take it out it went off. I don't know that I 100% believe that story, but that is the one that his co-worker told me. But then there was rumor that he was playing with it and it went off.. and then there is his mom doesn't think it was an accident at all; that he did it on purpose. So, I mean I want to believe the guy who saw it happen, but who really knows but him.

9. Jakey-D

Jakey-D Registered Member

Sorry for your loss x

I've never lost a friend but I watched an absolute stranger die in my arms. I was out walking my dog one night when a young lad lost control of his car and smashed side on into another oncoming vehicle. I was the only person on the scene as it was in the middle of nowhere. The guy was okay but stunned at the wheel. The passenger door was crushed against his unconscious girlfriends leg. I called emergency services from my mobile who asked me to make sure the unconscious girl was able to breath. She died as I tried to help her.

I know she wasn't a friend, but the loss I felt was huge.

10. Oooh_snap

That absolutely is a hard loss even if you didn't know them personally. I can only imagine how scary that was. I work in a hospital and I know that the first patient I had die was incredibly hard. I was working in the ER when the EMTs had brought in a woman who had a heart attack and they had already been doing CPR for 45 minutes in transport and we took over when they came in and the doctor called it while I was doing CPR after they couldn't intubate her, and that was a pretty hard day for me even though it was very apparent that no matter how hard we tried she wouldn't be saved. So, I can only imagine after seeing it happen and trying to save her that would be incredibly difficult.