Movies Death Note Live Action

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Altanzitarron, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Well it seems like ages ago that Vegito advised me to watch the death note anime, and I enjoyed it for the most part. I finally got around to watching the first live action movie and I have to say I'm impressed. As unbelievable as the concept is, it works really well in a live action film. I was completely suprised but it seemed to have the essence of what I liked about the anime aswell as adding some twists of its own. Obviously its not without its flaws, Ryuk looks like a ps1 charcter most of the time and some of the heart attacks look a little well.... hammy. I'll probably watch the sequel soon.
    What are everyones thoughts on this? did it live up to your expectations? or do you feel that something was lost in the adaptation? Also how does the sequel fair to this one?

2. Kanji

Kanji Registered Member

I've got both movies on dvd, but I've only watched the first one. I think its okay. There really could have done a better job on casting Light and raye.
    Tatsuya Fujiwara just doesn't look like Light (in my opinion) at all. And surely they could of come up with someone else who looks more American than the guy they got to play as raye. On the other hand I think they did a good job on casting for L, Watari, and Misa. I think its cool that they play red hot chili peppers at the credits though. :cool:

3. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

Haven't been able to see any of the live action movies yet but I love the show.

4. Altanzitarron

I watched "The Last Name" tonight, it was good but I didn't like it as much as the first one. I guess that just leaves "L: Change The WorLd" now. I know its not really based on the anime but I really like the guy who plays L so I'll give it a chance.

5. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Ryuk and Rem looked really fake but you get used to it after awhile. The actor who played L was great imo. And I also liked the ending more than the anime. If the anime would have ended like that it'd be in my top 3.

6. Altanzitarron

Vegito, have you seen the L spin off?

7. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

Surprisingly no. I've been meaning to dl it but have been busy and haven't had the time. If you get to see it before me let me know how it is. I'll do the same.

I assume it'll be pretty good since L is the main character.

8. Altanzitarron

I finally got around to watching the L spin off today. I wasn't really sure what to expect considering this wasn't based on the anime but I did like it quite a lot. There are some problems with pacing and theres a certain level of sillyness that you have to pardon if your going to get anything from this film. The guy who plays L is just as likeable if not more so than in the previous Death Note films. However some of the acting on behalf of the minor characters is so hammy it's painful. Also the relationship between Light and L is missing which is a major reason I liked the other two. With that said however there is a villain who wants to purify the Earth so similarities can be seen. Also there are times when L speaks in English and you can tell the actor didn't really understand what he was saying because his sentances lack emphasis in the correct places.
    All in all I rank this one the second best in the trilogy with the first movie being at the top. Theres a lot to like in L: Change The WorLd if your a fan of the series and the actors portrayal of the lead characer. There are moments of sweeteness that made me excuse some of the films sillier plot points and the guy who plays L is really on form once more. It does show a more human side to him and to be honest I'd quite happily watch another trilogy of L spin off's if the plot permitted. I like the character THAT much :lol:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008