• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Death & Dying (what do you want?)

dDave

V.I.P.
We were just discussing this in psychology today, so we'll see how this goes.

Feel free to add anything as you see fit this is just a generalized and standard list.

1. Burial, Cremation, or Crypt? (other is an option too I guess)
2. What do you want read at your funeral?
3. Who do you want there?
4. What music, if any, do you want?
5. Do you want to be missed?
6. Where do you want the service held? (i.e. a church, outside, etc)
7. What age do you want to die (if you've thought about that)

Here's mine.

1. I want to be buried, cremation is just a morbid concept within itself. Crypts are just creepy for me, I mean they're essentially large filing cabinets with bodies inside. Burial is definitely the way for me. Being lost at war would not be a way to go and neither would sinking to the depths of the ocean.

2. I want something from the Bible read at my funeral. That's pretty plain and simple I think.

3. I want my family and friends to be there but mos importantly my family.

4. I haven't really though about music all that much, but I think that it would be nice to have something like a worship service.

5. I certainly want to be missed, that means that I made a difference and an impact on the world, but I don't want people to mourn me, I want them to celebrate my life.

6. I want a church for sure.

7. My goal is to live to be over 100, I think that would be so cool.

Bliss

Sally Twit
1. Burial. I've thought about this a lot and it's the most natural. I would rather my body be laid to rest.

2. I'd like a family member or a friend to do a person reading. I know it would be a hard thing for anyone to do but it's much more personal.

3. Everyone I care about.

4. When my cousin died I was told they played a couple of his favourite songs. He loved techno/house and while it may not have been the usual music for a church, it's what he loved. My family told me they played Born Slippy by Underworld which was his favourite song. I think it's really good that they did that for him.
I'd definitely want that done for me. Just a few songs that I love/loved.

5. Bit of a strange question really. It's sad to say yes because I wouldn't want people I love to feel sad but at the same time it is a natural feeling.

6. A church.

7. I want to live past 80. That way I would feel I had lived a full life.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
1. Cremation. Spread my ashes where they belong - in the mountains. Burial just seems like a waste of land to me.

2. Something from the Bible as well as personal readings from whoever felt comfortable doing them.

3. Family and whoever else cared about me.

4. I don't care too much about the music since I won't be there to hear it. I guess just a few songs that I loved or songs that represent the kind of life I lived.

5. No, I don't want to be missed. The more you're missed, the more painful it is for your loved ones. I'd rather just be remembered.

6. Outside. Nothing beats fresh air.

7. I don't care. Between the ages of 29 and 80.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
We were just discussing this in psychology today, so we'll see how this goes.

Feel free to add anything as you see fit this is just a generalized and standard list.

1. Burial. I was actually looking at a websites at caskets yesterday and like one of them.

2. Psalm 23

3. Family and friends

4. Ave Maria

5. Of course

6. Church

7. As old as I can be without being a burden on anyone.

Impact

V.I.P.
Other. I want to be pushed out onto water in a boat and set alight. Like the old viking funerals. Although, I don't think that's legal, so i'll go with cremation.

Haven't thought about it. Definitely nothing religious

The people I care about. I don't want a public funeral where everyone who has ever said hello to me in the street comes along.

Alter Bridge - Blackbird. There are a couple other songs i'd love that I'd like played, but that one is a must.

No. I don't want people to be upset over my death, and being missed I think is part of that.

Outside somewhere. I don't want it in a church as i'm not religious.

I know I don't want to grow old. Being old just seems cruel after a certain age. I don't know what age exactly, but i'd rather die young, doing something I enjoy, than sitting there idly, unable to do the things I love and just waiting for death.

Dabs

Registered Member

1. Definitely cremation. Like Echoes, to me burial is a total waste of land space. One of these days I keep thinking we're going to run out of land to bury all the dead. Besides, a plot and the land and a headstone are way too costly!! With cremation, one can have their ashes spread someplace or placed in a simple urn.

2. I don't care what's read at my funeral.

3. The only family I have left, are my own children and their children. So I definitely would want them there. Altho, I hate to think of the pain it will put them thru. But if nobody else comes, oh well.

4. My one and only chosen song is by Bette Midler, called Wind Beneath My Wings. I had that played for my Mother at her funeral, very fitting for a daughter and a Mother.

5. I know people will probably miss me, but I would rather they didn't, keep on living their lives and be happy. (I need to take my own advice).

6. With the cremation services for both my Mother and my Dad, we held the viewing/calling hours in the evening, from around 5 to 7 p.m. Then since there was to be no burial, we had the funeral immediately afterwards, in the chapel in the funeral home. So that's what I have chose too.

7. I don't really care to live past 70 thank you much.

I am adding something about flowers and arrangements at funerals and calling hours. People mean well, but they are so expensive, for my own funeral I have requested, insisted is more like it, that if anyone wishes to have flowers or something to that nature delivered from them, then go with plants. Somebody in the family can take care of plants or statues, way easier than flowers. For my Mother's funeral, someone got her this huge angel statue, concrete-like, and she is holding a bouquet of flowers. I still have the statue, it's over 3 feet tall, but I update the flowers, for they start looking raggedy. It's a nice item for the outside garden. Also, does anyone know the story of how flowers came to be at funerals? In the Victorian ages, there was no embalming. And when the deceased were lying in the casket to be viewed, a few days after they had passed, the odor was unpleasant. So, that is how the flower ritual began, the flowers were there to help cover up the smell. If a person is having an in the ground burial tho, I see the reasoning for all the flowers, for they go to the cemetery and are placed on the grave. But that doesn't work for cremations.

Unition

Registered Member
1. A burial in the center of a large monumental garden with white birch trees everywhere and a statue of myself bowing down on one knee (like you would before a king) will be erected where my grave is.
2. Nothing special, just what people remember about me and how much I've done in my life.
3. All of my friends, my family, a multitude of very important people (not celebrities, actual important people), and several world leaders.
4. Samuel Barber's Adagio of Strings
5. Not missed, just remembered (in a good way)
6. In the garden I described before, preferably in the spring when the flowers and trees have just finished blooming.
7. Anywhere between 30 (at that age it would have to be a very heroic death in order to justify my awesome burial place) to 300 years old (that's right, 300 years old). To be completely honest I would prefer not to die at all, so long as I can still wipe my own ass, walk, and talk for as long as I live without any amount of long term physical suffering.

Last edited:

Starfire86

Registered Member
1) I would like to be buried without a coffin or preservatives (that made me think of jam :lick2:). Basically, dig a hole, drop me in before I start to stink up the place. Then plant a tree over my grave.
2) Read whatever you want, it's not like I'm gonna hear it! If you need to tell stories about how awesome I used to be to cope with my death, so be it.
3) Anyone can show up. Except for the Westboro Baptists; they can go fuck themselves.
4) The sounds of nature are good enough for me.
5) If I have the capacity to know that I'm being missed I'll appreciate it, but it's not necessary.
6) Outside, in a garden would be nice.
7) I want to die when I need to.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

cremation - just because I want to be portable

My family is spread around the world and not everyone has the money to make the trip here to visit me (I think a graveyard here will be a very lonely grave).

psalm 23 - not sure if that's actually a common read in a funeral

my kids and my closest friends/family

choral music provided by my former choir
if not maybe some Kings Singers CD in the background

Sure, but I'm dead so I'll never know. I do hope I'll be missed even just a bit. It makes me feel like I've done something worthwhile while living.

Church

Before everyone who loves me leaves me.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
1. Burial. I was actually looking at a websites at caskets yesterday and like one of them.
What the hell?

1. Either cremation or green burial(no chemicals, simple coffin, no headstone)
2. The Gospel.
3. Family. Please no GF guest, that would confuse everyone. lol.
4. Let us break bread together on our knees.
5. I know I will.
6. Church/Outside.
7. Sometime after my kids are grown.