Death at School

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by Kazmarov, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Yesterday (Monday for those that live in Australia), the dean of students at my high school suddenly died. I'm pretty resistant to grief (people, indeed, do die every day, it's just a matter of their correlation to our lives), but it's a tense situation with a lot of emotions on the part of the other students. How should I walk the tightrope?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Like one always should:

Dangling by one hand but steady.

3. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by walking the tightrope. I'm sure it'll take a while for things to get back to normal while you and your fellow students ride out the greiving process, but that's to be expected. I would suggest that you hold your head up high and remember the Dean for how he lived his life rather than how/why he passed on.

Hoosier.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

The tightrope kind of means the emotional typhoon that's going around. I feel melancholy, but I've been at this high school for less than two years, some of the seniors have been here for seven. I'm obviously far from the most knowledgable person who has a lot of memories of this guy, so I don't know when I can transition from my (much shorter) mourning period into a kind of semi-normalcy. When you have people with all different periods of mourning how do you approach it?

I don't know, I just found out that Catholics don't have funerals on holy weeks, so we might be looking at close to a week and a half until he's buried. It might make things wierd, as we probably will have much more rememberence than usual before the funeral, than after the funeral...I assume more rememberence, though I'm simply unsure of how that will pan out.

5. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Kaz,

You shouldn't have to guage your emotions against those of everyone else. Everyone shows bereavement in different ways. Just be empathetic to those that need an ear to talk to or a shoulder to lean on. Beyond that, be yourself and don't try to act out false emotions simply because you're feeling left out of the mainstream.

Hoosier.