• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dear God, make this stop

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/01/110...as-face-plastered-local-subway-sandwich-shop/

I eat A LOT of Subway, at least twice a week actually. I eat the 6" turkey on grain bread and baked Lays. It's a low fat lunch that I can grab quickly. I hate politics mixed with business and I don't want the First Lady's faced plastered in the restaurant telling me what I should and should not eat, whether that First Lady be Michelle Obama, Laura Bush, or whomever. You want to offer low fat lunches at schools? No problem, but in the free market let consumers choose what they want to feed their kids without your face plastered everywhere telling me what I should be feeding them.

If this goes through, my Subway days are over.

dDave

V.I.P.
That's pretty maddening. If this does go through it would easily be enough to make me stop eating there until they took it down.

I'm really sick and tired of having stuff like this shoved in my face. It was bad enough in high school, now everyone that chooses to eat at Subway may have to deal with this?

I honestly think that this will negatively impact public health. Even having her image/regulations in a restaurant is enough to make a lot of people stop eating there. Where will they go? There aren't very many options that are relatively healthy out there so they'll likely go back to burgers, fries, soda, etc. at a different fast food joint.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They are sadly mistaken if they think anyone is going to pay attention to this or that it will boost their business. I'm not going to, I'll order what I want and so will most people.

I'm all for kids eating healthier because of the obesity problem but I hope taxpayer money isn't being wasted on this. Parents are the ones that need to take control of their children's diets. Just post how much fat and calories are in the food and let the parents decide.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'd bet its a plan to get Subway into school cafeterias. It seems like Subway has been sputtering lately. They aren't opening stores at the same break neck speed. Last month they ran a loss-lead and were selling $2 6" Subs! Great deal, I had probably a dozen of them with water.
Fast food is expensive to produce. Subway sells a loaded footlong for 5 bucks and it takes 3 people to put it together, there is no way they break even on that. They've probably subsidized the food with franchise fees and now that the franchise fees are dropping they've got to go after the federal money. Giving the Obamas and the feds $41 million dollars in exchange for the school contracts is a pretty good deal if you don't mind selling your soul.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Aside from the very clear hate the author of the article has for the First Lady (and as a result, clear bias), I find it adorable that they try to stir up readers with talk of taxpayers 'footing the bill' while I'd bet many of these same people are the ones who don't think there's a problem with Wal-Mart costing taxpayers countless millions of dollars or McDonald's telling their employees to sign up for government aid. To me it just seems like a bit of flame tossing using Michelle Obama as the gasoline.

I don't get the outrage here, I really don't. I don't see how some endorsement is a massive outcry or affront to the American people. Obesity hasn't declined and having Michelle Obama's face on anything is only as influential as she is which I don't think is as much as these pundit spinsters want to believe it is. No one is going to be brainwashed by anything here. Americans are stubborn, changing our ways takes a long time.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I can't seem to open the article so I don't know if it says anything about this or not, but why do we assume taxpayers would be paying for this? Subway could be endorsing her the same way they endorse Apollo Ohno and other athletes. Why is it a problem if they want to encourage people to eat healthier?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I can't seem to open the article so I don't know if it says anything about this or not, but why do we assume taxpayers would be paying for this? Subway could be endorsing her the same way they endorse Apollo Ohno and other athletes. Why is it a problem if they want to encourage people to eat healthier?
Secondly, are taxpayers footing the bill for this ad campaign? How do you think Subway’s competitors feel about the added publicity that the restaurant chain will receive as a result of the federally subsidized “Let’s Move” campaign featuring one of the most prominent faces in America? It seems to give other businesses not named Subway an unfair shake.
What the website is asking is are there going to be Lets Move commercials with Michelle O. saying "I eat Subway"? Its a fair question.

Subway is smart. They have to understand that getting involved with a First Lady who's husband has Nixon-like approval ratings is a horrible idea. There has got to be a gain for Subway that will offset the loss of doing this.

Sim

Registered Member
I have no idea what exactly Michelle Obama said, and I have no idea what Subway offers and how that relates to the topic ... but I say, if you continue feeding your kids junk food, America will just continue become the world's laughingstock. Everybody's making jokes about the fat Americans already. ;)

But hey, real Americans don't care what other people think of them anyway. ;)

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
You're right, I don't care what anyone around thinks of America just like I have my opinions about other countries in the world and they couldn't care less what I think.

The point is I don't need the president or his wife telling what to eat and what not to eat. I keep myself in pretty good shape and eat healthy for the most part and did so years before Obama and his wife moved into the White House.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I really don't care what the rest of the world thinks about us just like they don't care what I think about them. I just don't want anyone telling me what I should eat. Its just a marketing strategy for subway. Every first lady has their thing they think they want to push. Michelle's happens to be eating healthy while Nancy Reagan's was just say no.

Just a side note we aren't the fattest.