• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Deadly stunt torches 500 people in Taiwan

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Half of the crowd at a Color Play Asia venue - at Formosa Fun Coast in New Taipei Taiwan - got torched when a worker shot colored and flammable theatrical powder from the stage and into the air. It was probaly ignited by the hot stage lighting and people were running to get out of the flames.

No deaths yet but more than 500 people were sent to hospitals with burns. 183 are in intensive care and 8 are in critical condition. I really feel for those people. Summers gotta be the worst time to get burns.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/27/asia/taiwan-water-park-explosion/

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's sad, hope no one dies. Taiwan needs better safety regulations as many other Asian countries do.

If there is ever a major medical crisis involving thousands a lot of countries will fall short in being able to handle it. 500 injured seemed to give Taiwan as much as they could effectively handle.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
In my opinion there is extreme negligence here. virtually any powder can be extremely flammable if dispersed into the air. Someone should have known this. Some of these people will have life long injuries from this.

- Cham

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I watched both the videos today filmed at this event, and some of the aftermath. Very horrific to watch, seeing all those people just running through flames while they burned alive. I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to have been there.

There has been one confirmed death so far, a girl wh had burns to more than 90% of her body. I fear there will be many more as death from serious burns usually happens in the weeks after the burns, not right away.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I can't get this incident out of my mind, it keeps playing over and over. I watchd the footage of when the explosion happened and everyone ran out through the fire.

I think the reason I can't get it out of mind is that I've never seen something like that before. I've never seen actual real human beings just running through a mass of fire like that. The closest thing I've seen to it is drawings and paintings we have done to depict various ideals of what hell would look like.

The photos coming out of this are also hard to forget once you've seen them. Peoples skin just hanging clean off them, looking more like cloth draped over their body more than actual skin is a hard thing to unsee. And all these people were doing was trying to have a good time at a party.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know what you mean Crouton some of the things you see in the news are hard to unsee. Well you can't they can be so horrific.

Burns can be so painful, I feel for anyone that has extensive burns like many of these people have.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
As far as I can see there's still only one death from this. Some of those people would probably wish they were dead rather than live with such extensive burns the rest of their life. I wonder what will happen to the organisers of the event who were responisble for this. I'm finding it hard to find updatd news stories on this incident.

One of the victims was an American man who was teaching English there and he now has burns to over 90% of his body.