• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Deadly polio outbreak linked to mutant virus

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
An unusually deadly outbreak of polio in 2010 in the Democratic Republic of Congo was linked Monday to a mutated form of the virus which common vaccines may not prevent.

Deadly 2010 polio outbreak in Congo linked to mutant virus
This outbreak killed 47% of the people it infected, which is high, that compares with Ebola. Some of the people that contracted this mutated form had been vaccinated for polio. Which makes this even more alarming.

Thoughts?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I dont get why those people in the Middle East and Africa are so opposed to healthcare. Thats really weird. I just hope they can control this outbreak better than they are controlling Ebola. It sounds really scary.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This outbreak was a few years ago and it hasn't happened again since. Hopefully it won't considering they can't get a handle on Ebola. Two highly contagious diseases with a high mortality rate would be too much.

What this outbreak of a mutated form of polio shows you is that there is always something else just around the corner. Something that could kill many people and we could do nothing about it immediately.

Sometimes I wonder how many of these diseases mutated with a little help. Not that I'm saying this is the case because that does happen naturally but we also have labs around the world changing them to make them more deadly.