Deadly Insects In The UK

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by English-Emo-Boy, Oct 18, 2008.

1. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

There has recently been quite a few sightings of deadly spider, bees and even scorpions in the UK recently.

A women found a black widow under her sink.

Is this worrying and do you have personal concern?

For those who don't live in the UK, what's it like living just a few feet from something that could kill you in a bite?

Insect invasion: the creepy crawlies beneath our feet - MSN Environment UK

(Warning: large pictures of insects)

2. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

Honestly to me it's no big deal really. I have no fear of poisonous animals when I take into account the numbers. In the United States between the years 1991-2001 there were 1943 people reportedly killed by animals in general. That averages into around 177/year. Of that 177 only 39%, around 69/year, were caused by venomous creatures. However; I can also have anti-venom airlifted to me in a matter of hours if I have a severely bad reaction. What makes the mortality rate so low is the fact that it we are prepared. It's a little frightening to think that these animals are adapting. But rest assured. I'm sure the UK is already looking into their own anti-venom bank, if you all don't already have one for Airline employees and the like.

3. fragile

fragile Registered Member

They actually wrote something similar here. They found black widows in a shipment from the us, and that most of them had probably already escaped from the cargo here.

We don't have any real poisonous bugs or something here, so we're not that cautious. But I'm not getting that concerned about it to start being more cautious either.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

The beetles are a lot more dangerous than the spiders they listed. Hell, we have lots of black widows around here and in my 20 years living around here, I've never heard of a death reported.

5. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I believe if you get to the hospital in time, the venom from a spider is not enough to kill you at least instantly. Most spiders aren't venomous enough to kill a human. A black widow could kill a child or the elderly, but rarely would kill a healthy adult.

I'd worry more about a Brown Recluse then anything. They can cause some nasty bites that get infected and take forever to heal.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  6. fragile

fragile Registered Member

I think they make too much fuss about it as well. Especially here since we're not familiar with it. In the papers here, it sounded like they had come to take over the country or something.

7. Merc

Yeah, Recluses would be a reason to be afraid. Not to mention, a Black Widow's first line of defense is not biting, it's playing dead so even if you come across one or even touch one by mistake, there's only a remote chance you'd be bitten and like pro said: there's plenty of effective antivenin available.

8. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Hmm...i think i've seen that tralantula somewhere before...

Seeing this make me wonder if they ever caught that spider that a soldier accidenlty brought back from Afghanistan or if it died in our climate.

I'm a little worried about the black widow (ironic i know) i heard they hide under toilet seat :S

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

That's still a bit worrying. Not as much for me personally but in general. I know if you get bit by a tick with Lyme disease you can have some serious problems. That's more of a concern for me but even then it's really rare.

Here's one for you though. My parents know somebody who was bit by a bug in some foreign country and she hasn't been able to walk normal since. She uses a wheelchair and she has all sorts of other health problems now. All seemingly from a bug bite that really couldn't have been predicted or stopped. I don't know all the details but it sounded like a SERIOUS fluke thing.

10. Merc

I've never heard of a bug doing all that Hybrix. You sure that she didn't develop a separate health condition?