• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games dDave's Mass Effect Progress Thread

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm going through the Mass Effect trilogy on insanity. I just thought I'd post updates here.

I'm less than halfway through the first game. It takes a long time because everything takes forever to kill.

Completed Missions
-Eden Prime
-Therum
-Feros

Remaining Missions
-Noveria
-Asteroid X57
-Virmire
-Ilos
-Citadel

I want to gain as many paragon points as possible (that's the route I've chosen) so that way I have the option to make crucial decisions in the game later on. I'm also going to clear a lot of the optional missions for fun this time around.

dDave

V.I.P.
I can cross Feros off of the list. I also got a lot of side quests done, especially on the citadel. I remember how hard the end of the game gets so I'm going for all the XP I can get.

I'm on Noveria now. I think it's very fitting given the epic amount of snow we're getting right now. :)

I also got the best assault rifle in the game.

dDave

V.I.P.
Dang. I didn't post enough status updates. :lol:

I just finished off the rest of ME1. Wow, I forgot just how short that game is. The only thing that makes it long is all of the side missions that are basically repetitive to an extreme degree.

By the end of the game I had enough heat dampening on my Spectre Master Gear Assault Rifle that it was actually dissipating heat faster than I could generate it. In other words, I was playing with unlimited ammo no reloads. I could hold down the trigger indefinitely, it's like i had overkill on all the time. :)

Mass Effect 2 will be started soon.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think we talked about this a while ago but what's your favorite Mass Effect game? Mine is definitely 2.
Oh man. Why do you have to ask me hard questions like that? :lol:

The first game has some things that I really like like getting to meet half of the main cast for the series, unlimited ammo (and it's still hard!), and so many decisions that can be made that have a "mass effect" later on in the series. It's also the only full blown RPG in the series. I have a real problem with the side missions and DLC available for this game, it's awful. Every single side mission in the game that requires landing on a non-story planet has the exact same formula over and over again, it's very boring. Still, a great game and you can easily avoid most of the side content as it's not important at all. I've played through this game 3 times.

The second game. I think it's got the best opening in the series; very dramatic and it was simply shocking, I didn't see it coming. It's got the largest available squad, that's something I really enjoyed. I also liked how it took a very different tone from the first game simply because you weren't really working for the Council or the Alliance in this game. I only played this game once all the way through and stopped about half way through a second run. The new combat system for this game was a HUGE improvement over the original game among other fixes.

Mass Effect 3. I remember liking this one the best. It just captured that full epic scale that I was really hoping for. Small tweaks were made to the way ME2 played and I think the game played perfectly. I think it's kind of strange how decisions made in the first game actually ended up impacting this game more than the second game. It was nice to know that Bioware had not forgotten about events of the first game and were sure to make decisions play a big role. Bioware also went out of their way to offer additional story content for those people that were just wanting to get more and more. Unlike most people, I was satisfied when I finished the game, I didn't think the ending sucked (I only played it with the extended cut).

In case that wasn't clear, I really like all of the games. :) I'll pick a favorite at the end but as it stands, ME3 was my favorite.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'd also like to note that the first game has a LOT of technical bugs. I experienced glitches of all sorts while playing that game. Still, it's a great game, so great that I'm willing to look past all the flaws to see the great game underneath.

I just gave the second game a nice, short start. Saved at the beginning of Freedom's Progress. Really enjoying being back on such a nice engine.

dDave

V.I.P.
I finished everything on Omega last night. Really good start to ME2. I feel like I actually have squad options that I like now. Insanity is also pretty hard.

I forgot just how awesome this game is, especially the Archangel mission.

dDave

V.I.P.
I made some type of critical mistake while installing some DLC (installing the stuff has always been a pain for this game) and I somehow corrupted my game files.

My saves are safe so I guess there's really no harm, still annoying.

I'm erasing all my local content and re-installing the game, this is the same install I had years ago when I played through the first time, a fresh install will be good anyway.

dDave

V.I.P.
As it turns out, installing one of the DLC packages erases the awc.dll file in the Mass Effect 2 folder. This renders the game unlaunchable (Stupid Bioware). I lucked out and copied the file I needed from my Mass Effect 3 folder. Game launches just fine now.

I'm hoping to get some loyalty missions done today after working through some Dossiers.