DC Statehood

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Simple question: should the District of Columbia be granted statehood, or at least some designation that gives it congressional representation?

Please also have a merry time discussing the various facets of this rather neglected issue.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Is there a reason it isn't being granted statehood? I know very little on the issue, so I'll just the idiot asking questions here and learning. I don't see why it shouldn't be represented, but my opinion may change obviously the more I hear about it.

If I had the time, I'd look up some facts about it but I'm leaving in a bit.

3. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

Yes DC needs its own representation .. it is a city state in effect anyway might as well make it official .. plus DC usually stands in opposition to whatever majority happens to be in effect .. another good reason to maintain a balance on capital hill .. if the people in the city around the state buildings have a voice apart from MD & VA policy its more likely to reflect local views rather than get lost in MD, VA issues ..

I lived in & out of DC for over ten years .. I can say that I would vote for DC becoming a sovereign state of the union .. & feel many of the people I used to work with, live with, would agree with me .. DC isn't MD or VA & that should be reflected in the house & senate ..

Free DC

4. Kazmarov

Well the issue with DC is it is run by Congress, and the Republicans will die before letting it become a state. Why? Because it votes 80-90% Democrat because it's so highly poor and black. So it's currently 3 electoral votes for the Dems every election, and could be 2 senators and one rep for every election today.

But hey, remember DC's biting license plate motto "Taxation without Representation."

5. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

plus your drivers license number is the same as your social security number .. makes it easier to remember .. lolz

Capital hill needs to have local reps .. its that simple ..

6. blenderboy55

blenderboy55 Guest

I don't know what DC you're talking about, but the DC I know is mostly Black, poor, etc. AKA, it hates Republicans.

Agreed.

Anyway, the Founding Fathers wanted an independent Capital, above the influences of the 13 states. That's why it wasn't part of any state.

However, I think it's time it got representation.

Giving DC 2 senators and/or more than one representative in the house is a little ridiculous though imo. I believe the law says states have to have 2 senators and at least one rep, but DC wouldn't be a state.

Also, quick question: Would this Rep be in addition to the current number, or take representation away from another state?

7. Kazmarov

I guess it would have to be considered. The current number is in the US Code, and could be quickly changed before whatever representatiion began.

Well I think they deserve two Senators and a rep. Why? the District of Columbia has ~50,000 more people than Wyoming, which has full representation. Thus, I think Dick Cheney being the rep from Wyoming back in the day is more unjust than whoever was serving as a non-voting representative for D.C.

===

The Father's intent was to make a city for legislation far away from the various interests (ie, New York, Boston, and the Southern cities like Charleston and Raleigh). However, it's now the interest center of the nation now, so the intent has been defeated and it's time to progress.

8. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

same place but I think you will find DC has more to it than south east .. its quite a checkered city .. the divide is pretty extreme .. embassy brats schooling with local talent ..

Trouble is like you say, there are issues with local policy .. issues that could be addressed more effectively with local representation ..

9. Stay Away

Stay Away Guest

No foreseeable reason to, its pretty much like making every large city a state. All it would do is make it even easier for votes to be pushed through D.C. by lobbyists.

Waste of time.

10. Kazmarov

Hmmm.

Why are you comparing DC to any other large city? Cleveland is a large city, however votes from it elect senators and local representatives. D.C doesn't, but its citizenry pay taxes. That's fundamentally unjust.

You'll notice many people who were involved with Abramoff are now no longer in Congress, or their bretheren who are involved in trials.

For your disdain of the government, you sure don't value justice very highly.