DC or Marvel?

DC or Marvel?

• Total voters

Unity

Change the World
Staff member
It looks like we've never had this discussion at GF, and I'm surprised. It's time to settle it once and for all, with a battle royal of..uh..voting and polite conversation about comics...

So, comic book fans (and fans of comic book movies, as well): are you a bigger Marvel Comics fan or do you prefer DC Comics? Explain why.

Also, though we have to cast a vote and decide on one or the other, feel free to talk about which company does ______ better. So if you vote for Marvel but think that DC has better writing or art, explain!

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm more of a movie comic person. I haven't read any of the comics...but if they were a little more compatible with my e-reader i would definitely get into it. If I ever end up replacing this one, I'm going to get one that's in color and would do better with these.

Anywho...so I googled a list of the top characters for each, and I'm going to have to say Marvel. Marvel has a lot of my favorite characters, which are namely: Iron Man, The Punisher, Thor, Wolverine...and Captain America is starting to grow on me a little bit. I also lol'd when I saw Howard the Duck on the top 100 list. I had no idea he was a comic.

While I do so love Batman and Superman, I just feel that the overall bad assery and coolness belongs to Marvel.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've always been more of a DC fan. I loved Superman and Batman and The Justice League, although I was a huge fan of Thor, Captain America and Iron Man. The writing to me was just a little better at DC, and I liked those characters just a little bit more, but not by much.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I'm definitely more of a DC guy. I'm a fan of Marvel too, but for the sake of not going broke, I chose to go on only one road. haha Sometimes I feel like the scope of Marvel is a little too out there for me. It seems harder to follow.

Batman and Spiderman are childhood favorites and still are today. I got into the Justice League and its various characters a lot more since I started reading the comics.

I think Marvel has done a lot better with its marketing and movies on the big screen. The DC animated movies are great though. There are a lot more popular marvel characters than there are DC, but DC has Batman and Superman, who are iconic.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I have to go with DC. DC definetly had better characters like Batman, Superman, and Green Arrow. And each major DC character has a great backstory that is well written and thought out. Marvel on the other hand just tries to hard have more mutants and superpower heroes. Spider Man was basically Marvel's version Batman, but Marvel has not yet come close to having an answer for Superman. They never have and never will. They both have there pros and cons but DC is definetly the best out of the 2.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
DC definitely always had the best writers, but the Marvel characters have always seemed more real to me. My favorite comic of all time is Daredevil. Daredevil is a guy that's got just a little bit of an advantage over your common street thug. There are other heroes in the Marvel Universe that have similar limited powers: Captain America, Punisher, Nick Fury. There are also some Marvel characters that have great powers, but have personal problems that make them a wreck such as Tony Stark.

I guess DC has a list of not so powerful characters also, I just could never really relate to them like I can Marvel.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
DC definitely always had the best writers, but the Marvel characters have always seemed more real to me. My favorite comic of all time is Daredevil. Daredevil is a guy that's got just a little bit of an advantage over your common street thug. There are other heroes in the Marvel Universe that have similar limited powers: Captain America, Punisher, Nick Fury. There are also some Marvel characters that have great powers, but have personal problems that make them a wreck such as Tony Stark.

I guess DC has a list of not so powerful characters also, I just could never really relate to them like I can Marvel.
I think Marvel had a thing going with trying to be relatable with all the X-men and spiderman. Especially with the X-men evolution tv series, you could tell there was a whole message on bullying and being different in that show. The same thing with the movie trilogy. It was all about being different and fitting in.
------
I have to go with DC. DC definetly had better characters like Batman, Superman, and Green Arrow. And each major DC character has a great backstory that is well written and thought out. Marvel on the other hand just tries to hard have more mutants and superpower heroes. Spider Man was basically Marvel's version Batman, but Marvel has not yet come close to having an answer for Superman. They never have and never will. They both have there pros and cons but DC is definetly the best out of the 2.
I always thought of Spiderman as the only superhero that had a weak/nerd alter ego (at least out of the more famous superheroes). People related to him for being an awkward kid at school and whatnot.

Iron Man was my marvel equivalent to batman. They're both billionaire playboys with deep personal issues and lots of fancy gadgets. They're both also human.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I never read any DC comics at all, I only ever read Marvel, so I can't speak to the writing in DC comics. I read X-Men and New Mutants, and I've read a few Daredevil graphic novels. I love Stan Lee.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I've always been very partial to DC Comics, mainly because of Batman. Seriously, look at how many awesome characters has the Batman series spawned - Joker, Two-FACE, Catwoman, Barbara Gordon, Harley Quinn (<3333), The Riddler, Ras al Ghul, Poison Ivy, Black Mask. The list goes on and on. I can't really compare the writing to Marvel tho, because to be honest, I never really gave Marvel much of a chance. I spent a lot of time reading just Batman comics. Also, add in the fact that one of my favorite shows as a kid was Batman: The Animated Series - DC will almost always get my vote solely because of Batman.

Although, Marvel does deserve some credit for badass characters like Venom, Gambit and Wolverine.