• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 2 DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Clear_Note

Demon King/Sith Warrior
Who here has this game? I have the wii version cuz i find swinging the wiimote and mashing a and b is easier than pressing a combination of buttons.

My opinion-

First off, the name. WTF. Translated, Budokai Tenkaichi means Martial Arts Tournament Strongest Under the Heavens. In japanese names of the 3 games in the series were Sparking, Sparking Neo, and Sparking Meteor. WHY make the name of the game MORE difficult to say?!

The graphics haven't improved much from BT2, but most of the stuff looks better. Nothing lookes like gas farts anymore, the explosions leave behind dust rather than weird...cloud puffs that are supposed to be smoke-dust but it looks like poorly animated farts. The graphics are fine, could be better for a game like this, though. Alot of the special effects look awesome though.

The gameplay is great. Tons of combos you can do, it's not all about special moves, you can string lots of combos together, it's a borderline mediocre-expert game. The only thing that really annoys me is teleporting out of the way of something. I can almost never get it to work. But all in all, the gameplay is awesome.

The character roster is amazing. Not everyone is in there, but damn, there's alot of characters. Some I think could've been left out, like kid chi chi (who's only there for loli fanservice), and replaced with some of the better minor characters like Eis Shenron, Naturon Shenron, Bio Broly, Super Buu w/ Piccolo, etc.

The special moves are really cool for most of the characters. Unfortunately, there's a bunch of characters limited to generic moves like Super Energy Wave Volley. Boring name, boring attack. Some are just plain ineffective, like Appule's ultimate attack. It's almost as small as an energy blast. That's pathetic. Cooler should've also had more effective moves, he was pretty damn strong in the movie. I love Revenge Death Ball.

The music is alright. Average, nothing much to say about it.

The story mode seemed very short, it seemed like it was rushed through at the last minute. Alot of important battles were skipped over, and it was pretty disappointing, although it was still pretty fun. The second to last battle against Kid Buu using SSJ3 Goku was a PAIN IN THE ASS. If you play on hard mode, you WILL get your ass kicked, because Kid Buu moves like the freaking flash. Every chance he gets he will rush at you with Mystic Combination or knock you away. If he knocks you away, you can kiss your ass goodbye because he will pinball you around usually 10 or more times before he slams you to the ground and he can't do it anymore in the same combo. And it's so unfair because you'll barely have the button mashing speed to stop yourself from flying into the air before he hits you again. Fortunately, it's helpful to spam your blast attacks over and over since he can't punch out or block them, that is, if you have and damn time to actually charge your ki before he pinballs you around again. Other than that damn annoying battle, story mode is cool.

I'll add more later, i'm too lazy to type more right now.

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Quick question, why question the name?

Makes sense really, considering the World Martial Arts Tournaments in the DB universe was officially known as the Tenkaichi Budokai...

Clear_Note

Demon King/Sith Warrior
Yes but in english they decided to flip it around so it sounds wierd, AND they decided to change it FROM english in japanese version to japanese in the english version. What the hell?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Simple: the type of people likely to buy it in the west are probably facinated by Japan while not really bothered how the words are meant to be arranged, while randomly putting English in titles and song lyrics in Japan is, apparently, cool.

Clear_Note

Demon King/Sith Warrior
Pfft, that doesn't make sense. It's like they're experimenting with the name or something, nobody really cares. It's dragonball z people will eat up the game anyway. What are they gonna do next, make Shin Gekurietsu Halo?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
You just made my point - no-one really cares. In the west at least.

The people buying the game in the west aren't going to go batshit insane because 'oh teh noes tey fuked teh naem up!'. As such, the producers probably didn't worry too much how the name is meant to be arranged, people would buy the game regardless.

As for the east, you just have to take a look at the number of modern Japanese songs that randomly put English in the lyrics. Then there's Engrish on products.

The point is, placing English, no matter what it says, on Japanese products and in Japanese lyrics is meant to make it cooler, and it works. So, it would make sense for the producers to release the game in Japan with an English title. To make the game seemingly cooler and to stand out from the other games that use just Japanese.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blur Anime 6
H Anime 5
Pugz Anime 6
brysonlee Anime 2
Mirage Anime 5