• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

'Day Of Silence,' Slammed As 'Promotion' Of Homosexuality

Iris

rainbow 11!
'Day Of Silence,' National Pro-Gay Youth School Event, Slammed As 'Promotion' Of Homosexuality

Organized by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), the national "Day of Silence" aims to draw attention to anti-gay bullying, harassment and name-calling in schools. In an effort to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior in middle schools, high schools and college campuses, students will take a "vow of silence" on April 20 to illustrate "the silencing effect of bullying and harassment on LGBT students and those perceived to be LGBT," according to GLSEN's website.

As a counterpart, Focus on the Family has organized the so-called "Day of Dialogue" (formerly "Day of Truth"), set for April 19, which encourages students "to express their Biblical viewpoint in a loving and Christ-centered way -- especially when sensitive issues, like bullying and sexual identity, are addressed in their schools," HuffPost Gay Voices reported in February. (see promo clip above)
I've made probably three or four threads on GF through the years talking about the Day of Silence since I participated in high school.

What makes me mad is that they think it's some kind of promotion, are you serious? I mean, if you want to have a day where you express your views in a loving way, or however the article worded it, that's fine. But to really say it's some kind of promotion for homosexuality? It's not! this is to combat the bullying that many LGBTA (allies) face for just being themselves.

It makes a difference, I promise. A lot of people thinks it is stupid because how can you make your point by not talking? But one of the years I did it, the first or second, I was sitting in Latin class and I was the only student participating. My teacher respected it but then one of the students made some kind of comment similar to, "that's gay." and she went on a tangent about how it's sayings such as that one that spurs days like the Day of Silence.

They argued back and forth, the kid saying it was stupid and making other homophobic comments that have slipped my mind, while my teacher praised the day and defended homosexuality.

Seriously, my favorite fucking teacher of all time. I love her so much.

In that classroom on that day, she helped make a difference.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see how people can see something as a day of silence as promoting homosexuality. I don't get people sometimes, its like you either think and act like me or shut up. Everyone deserves a voice and shouldn't be put down because their opinion doesn't match yours. In my view diversity is what makes the world exciting.

Maybe if gay youth weren't treated like there was something wrong with them there wouldn't be so many suicides among them.

Sounds like you had a good teacher.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I've never heard of this Day of Silence before. It's pretty pathetic that they are taking an anti-bullying event, aimed at promoting equality and trying to prevent teen suicide and doing all this crap.

"Day of Dialogue" (formerly "Day of Truth"), set for April 19, which encourages students "to express their Biblical viewpoint in a loving and Christ-centered way -- especially when sensitive issues, like bullying and sexual identity, are addressed in their schools,"
This is why I find it hard not to hate religion. It seems like every time something stupid happens religion is at the bottom of it. I try to be open-minded and level headed towards all religions, but some of them, especially Christianity always seems to be the cause of hatred and judgmental ways between people.

It seems like an interesting type of protest, although I don't personally see how not talking represents gay bullying etc, I'm sure if it has an effect then it's a good thing.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Like most of these things, it's more about the awareness than direct symbolism. If someone you know isn't talking all day, you're probably going to ask why. They'll either write it out or someone else will tell you what's going on, and the issue of gay rights/bullying is on your mind for at least a few more minutes.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think it's sick that people see it this way. The Day of Silence has always been about people whose voices have been silenced due to violence and hateful acts committed against homosexuals for their sexual preferences. We don't need a 'day of dialogue', we get enough religion shoved down our throats every day in this country.

I don't know why Americans insist on politicizing everything but to me this has always been more of a human rights event more than the magically made up 'gay agenda'.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Its basically what Oxy says, when a bunch of people aren't talking, it brings attention to them and then to their cause. There are little signs people tape or stick to their clothing that explains what they are doing and why. It's been going on for maybe.. 13ish years? Give or take a few.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. We don't do it here in Aus, but the rate of bullying/ suicide related to homophobic bullying etc doesn't seem to be as high here. It sounds like a good idea. If I lived in America I'd probably participate.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sometimes I wonder if people attack others verbally or physically like they do the gay community because they are so unsatisfied with their own lives or they have been victims of abuse themselves. This is by no means a excuse for it but I was just wondering if it may be part of the problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Introductions 6
MattLeParkour Introductions 8
F Introductions 8
L Introductions 8
B Introductions 7