Dawson makes MLB Hall; McGwire denied again

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Sorry but this years voting was complete bullshit, how does only one player makes it in? I don't the exact amount but there was four blank ballots which I think is so stupid.

Nothing against Dawson he was a great player, but how the heck Alomar doesn't get in first ballot is complete bullshit in my mind. I know he'll eventually get in, but that's beside the point right now.

Dawson makes MLB Hall; McGwire denied again - MLB News - FOX Sports on MSN

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I can understand McGuire being denied. I don't really get why Alomar was kept out. He had one major mistake in his whole career. Spitting in the umpire's face was indeed a bad mistake but not bad enough to deny him the hall.

3. Babe_Ruth

I totally agree with you, I was listening to a sports show and the host was interviewing one of the voters and he admitted that he didn't vote for Alomar because he spat in the umpires face, then the host asked him if he voted for McGwire and he said he's voted for him every time he was on the ballot. Then the host asked him it didn't bother him that he supposedly took steroids, he simply answered no. I think voters like this should be taken out of the voting process. I didn't even see what this guy looked like because he was on the phone, but I wanted to punch him in the face, he was a fucking idiot.

I don't condone what Alomar did, the slurs he told that umpire and spitting in his face wasn't the smart thing to do, but his numbers, and his defensive ability should merit him a first ballot hall of fame induction.

4. Doc

You said it. Alomar got snubbed. I hope he makes it next year.

As for voting for McGuire over Alomar? Seriously? That guy must really hate the game of baseball.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I think you guys are overreacting. I agree that Alomar should have been voted in, but it's not a travesty that he didn't make it on his first try. And it's not unreasonable to have voted for McGwire.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

That is just ridiculous. So many of these voters are such boneheads. To not vote for Alomar because of the spitting (which I don't condone) and vote for McGwire despite what he did is just plain dumb.

I think Alomar deserves to be in, but putting that aside, even if you don't think he should be a first ballot HOFer, at least let it be for a better reason.

7. Doc

I was watching ESPN today and with the % of votes that Alomar received he'll statistically make it on the next ballot.

8. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

First off, congrats to Andre Dawson for getting in.

This McGwire crap is never going to end, is it? It has never been proven McGwire took steroids and they (steroids) were more of a normal thing in this time frame then not taking them was. I don't blame people for doing what they did as they had to try and "keep up" with everyone else.

McGwire's numbers, as they stand, are easily Hall of Fame worthy. The writers loved Sosa and McGwire when they were hot stories. Those fuckers are hyprocrites.

As far as Alomar goes, yeah, he's a Hall of Famer...just not this year. No need to get that mad over it as he'll get in next year.

9. Babe_Ruth

That's not what I'm mad about, what makes me mad is that the only reason why he didn't get voted in was because he spat in the umpires face, some said there's a character evaluation on the poll and Alomar failed it.

In words, players like Cobb and Hornsby would of never got voted in by these voters since they were the biggest dicks to ever play baseball. That's the point I'm trying to make.

10. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Completely understand what you're saying...

I would put Alomar in on the first ballot and I'd also put in McGwire and Sosa and all the other "suspected" steroid users. They haven't been proven guilty.

I honestly don't care what someone supposedly did. It's not the Hall of Character. Ty Cobb beat up a heckler who had no hands. He also beat the shit out of an umpire who had the temerity to call him out on strikes.

Gaylord Perry threw an illegal spitter for over 20 years. And that's far MORE obvious than McGwire using steroids. Perry is in the Hall.

Hank Aaron and Willie Mays were popping greenies like candy in the 60's.

RUMOR is that Babe Ruth and others were using horse steroids back in the 30's.

Paul Molitor had a wicked coke habit (as did about 50% of MLB back in the 80's) He's in the Hall.

Where do you draw the line? I say let them all in...who cares anymore.