• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

David West to become a free agent

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
David West, who dealt with injury at the end of the season this year, is probably done with the New Orleans Hornets. Here's a Yahoo Sports blog on the news:

West likely done in New Orleans - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

I'm a big Hornets fan, so I figured I'd post this here. Here are West's stats:

David West - New Orleans Hornets - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

What are your thoughts on his free agency? Any guesses on a team needing a Forward that might take him?

It basically comes down to the old sports scenario of "He wants a championship and he's starting to get a little older."

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
West is a very talented player, but don't let his good stats fool you. You have to remember that he was playing with one of the best point guards in the league who gave him the ball. Like Nash made Boris Diaw better while he was playing the Suns, Paul definitely made David West better.

That said, he would be a great addition to a lot of teams, and I'm sure there's a lot of teams out there that are interested in his services. I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers went down a bit if he doesn't play with a talented point guard.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
West is a very talented player, but don't let his good stats fool you. You have to remember that he was playing with one of the best point guards in the league who gave him the ball. Like Nash made Boris Diaw better while he was playing the Suns, Paul definitely made David West better.

That said, he would be a great addition to a lot of teams, and I'm sure there's a lot of teams out there that are interested in his services. I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers went down a bit if he doesn't play with a talented point guard.
It's funny that you mention Paul, Biz...in the blog/article, the author says that:
His decision could be a prelude to the eventual departure of All-Star guard Chris Paul(notes), who has played his entire career with West in New Orleans. The Hornets might have to trade Paul next season before he reaches free agency in 2012 and start a complete rebuilding process.
I'd hate to see an exodus of NO's better players.

I'll quote another part of the article regarding possible places for West, because the author says it so much better than I would:

Indiana and New Jersey are two teams with significant salary-cap space and a strong interest in signing West, league sources said. West grew up in New Jersey, living in Northern New Jersey until the eighth grade, and has always been fond of the metropolitan New York area. Nevertheless, the Pacers have a better core now and have a gaping hole for a power forward.
I wonder if he'd be leaning towards New Jersey because he grew up there, but as we've seen with Lebron that doesn't necessarily matter (and that's usually true with most pro sports).

The article went on to mention that NO has made an offer and that West hasn't shut them out as a possibility, but that his agent said that he wants to go somewhere where he can win.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't be surprised if Paul gets traded this off-season. A lot of rumblings that he's going to go to New York, but who knows.

If West wants to win a Championship then he won't be interested in going to play for the Pacers or the Nets since they're several years away from being a contender. And I don't know if Brook Lopez and David West could play together, both are very similar players.

Should be interesting to see where he lands.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I also heard that CP3 was likely to go somewhere else. I think New Orleans might just dismantle and rebuild from the sound of it, even though they do have some solid pieces.

It'll be an interesting offseason with the looming lockout too. Hopefully there will be some more strong championship contenders when everything is over.