David Letterman teaches us how to handle our problems

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
NEW YORK (CNN) -- "Late Show" host David Letterman acknowledged on his show Thursday night that he'd had sexual relations with members of his staff and that he revealed those liaisons during grand jury testimony for a case involving an attempted extortion.

"I have a little story that I'd like to tell you," Letterman said as he launched into his revelation.

"This morning, I did something I've never done in my life," Letterman told his audience. "I had to go downtown to testify before the grand jury" and "tell them all of the creepy things that I've done."

The 62-year-old funnyman said he received a package three weeks ago from a person who claimed to have information about Letterman's sexual dalliances, ultimately demanding $2 million to prevent public revelation.

Letterman said he went to the Manhattan District Attorney's office, which conducted an investigation and an arrest was made earlier in the day.

"CBS was made aware of an ongoing police investigation involving David Letterman and an employee at '48 Hours,' who was subsequently arrested ... on charges of attempted grand larceny in the first degree," a statement from the network said.

"CBS is cooperating fully with the authorities and the employee has been suspended pending the results of the investigation."

CBS News on its Web site identified the suspect as "Joe Halderman, a 20-year-plus veteran of CBS News."
Full story here: Letterman reveals affairs with staff, extortion attempt - CNN.com

Also, Letterman sent the guy a fake check and that's how they nabbed him.

His actions are not the most morally sound, but I think he's handling this in a way almost nobody even moderately famous has before. He's being up front, honest, saying "this is what I did, now let's move on." I think a lot of Hollywood and many politicians could learn from this.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not to mention having a sense of humor about it. I like how he sent them a fake check. Owned. :lol:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Well, the point of the fake cheque wasn't just for humour sakes I think. That's a normal tactic for catching extortionists. When they come to make the pickup, it lets the cops know who it is, and then they can nab him.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well, the point of the fake cheque wasn't just for humour sakes I think. That's a normal tactic for catching extortionists. When they come to make the pickup, it lets the cops know who it is, and then they can nab him.
Doesn't change the fact that it's hilarious. :lol:

I just really like the way he handled this and I think people should take notice, politicians especially.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I also like the way he handled this, he took care of this "problem" the right way and I'm glad that he was up front and honest about the whole ordeal. I also found it funny that it was a fake cheque.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Doesn't change the fact that it's hilarious. :lol:

I just really like the way he handled this and I think people should take notice, politicians especially.
Yah, I have to say, he did handle it much better than I've seen other celebrities handle drama. It hurts your career a lot less when you're just honest about it, and don't try to hide it. Also, there's no way for the tabloids to twist it around either, since he came right out lol.

The only good thing that can come from this is that by the end of the work week no one will even care about it anymore, and we'll just move right past that.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Look how easy it is to totally deflect the real issue, sexual harassment. If this was the CEO of your company would this type of behavior be tolerated? How about if it was someone that you don't like, maybe Rush or Glen Beck? Would their misdeeds be so easily forgiven? I sincerely doubt it. I have seen statements by the defendant's attorney and I will be interested it seeing the other side of this case.

Yep, as long as he's making a joke about it, it's ok. Extramarital affair? No biggie, it's all in good fun right?
It doesnt' sound as though this was a one time mistake, he did it more than once.
He's only being "honest" because he's caught.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Look how easy it is to totally deflect the real issue, sexual harassment. If this was the CEO of your company would this type of behavior be tolerated? How about if it was someone that you don't like, maybe Rush or Glen Beck? Would their misdeeds be so easily forgiven? I sincerely doubt it. I have seen statements by the defendant's attorney and I will be interested it seeing the other side of this case.
Except you're missing one glaring problem: it's not sexual harassment.

It's also not rape, it was consensual sex. Thus, there is no further issue. Don't be a victim and mention hypothetical victims like Glen "everything is rape" Beck and Rush. Don't turn this into a partisan issue, please. That just makes it annoying to discuss. Besides, the reason I call Letterman a good example is because unlike everyone else who has to deal with this sort of thing and face up to their own issues, Letterman was classy and honest. He didn't start a PR campaign against the individuals, he didn't get pissy, mock the guy or anything else like that. He let the cops do their work, showed up in court and explained himself to his fans and viewers.

He then came out on yesterday's show and apologized to his wife.

Letterman apologizes to wife on Monday night's show - CNN.com
------
Yep, as long as he's making a joke about it, it's ok. Extramarital affair? No biggie, it's all in good fun right?
It doesnt' sound as though this was a one time mistake, he did it more than once.
He's only being "honest" because he's caught.
This is why society shuts up about its problems. Even when someone fesses up and admits their faults, we still mock them. We ridicule and lambaste them just because they did it in the first place. Yet, statistics tell us that cheaters are everywhere, that criminality is everywhere. People fuck up all the time and hide it. No one on this Earth can turn around and say, "I handle all my problems" because we're all guilty of trying to hide at least one thing from one person in our past. It's part of growing up and learning how to cope.

I never said I thought what Letterman did was right nor did I condone it, I'm merely saying that his handling of the situation is far better than what almost any other person who has gone through it has.

Also, if you've been paying attention to the story, he's not "making a joke of it". He's not claiming it's "no biggie." He got pretty emotional on last night's show for a few minutes and maturely enough, moved on. It's why he came straight out and admitted it last week, so that it wouldn't be dragged out for months and he wouldn't have to stutter step around his words like so many politicians and other celebrities do.

Last edited: