• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dating was easier in the olden days

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Does anyone get that impression?
It may not be the case, it may not have changed at all. However, I'm just going off my parent's tales and other folks, and it just sounds like they accomplished their romantic conquests very easily.

Does anyone reckon dating was easier in the olden days, or say 20-30 years ago thereabouts?

Dabs

Registered Member
I honestly have no clue. 20 to 30 years ago, I was a married person. I was married from 1977 to early 1983. Then married again from late 1983 to late 1997. So, I have been "single" if you will, for 14 years. I didn't know what dating was till now :)

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
That's really something no-one can objectively say is true. In order to determine that, we'd need someone who has dated back then and also now, which is more than likely going to be very tricky, depending on how far back you go.

The best we can do is go by real life stories. But considering there are more than a million such stories to be heard, it's going to be impossible to hear them all. Most likely we will only ever hear a small number of the successful ones. I doubt many people would be happy to tell others about how bad they were at trying to get a date.

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Well, I'm studying 18th Century relationships/seduction in literature right now to cap off my English degree, and I can tell you, it was much harder courting back then than it is today... :lol:

As for today, many sociologists believe that technology is dissolving a number of important social skills in young people; furthermore, I'm beginning to wonder at how many staples of our modern diet (I'm talking foods and additives that have really risen in abundance over the last 60 - 70 years, like new forms of MSG, or trans fats) have adverse neurological effects. It's already been shown that trans fat permanently slows down nerve conduction in the brain, thereby basically making you measurably dumber the more you eat it!

Without the need to talk to others face-to-face social skills don't get any exercise, and if synthetic foods are actually making us stupider, then yeah, I'd say it's very possible that dating today is harder, or at least more nerve-wracking, for people, than it used to be.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't think it was easier at all. Back then people couldn't date who they wanted to date because of the family traditions. Girls had to be virgin and there wasn't a date in the first place. Your family would arrange someone for you to marry.
At least that's the way it used to be over here.

Nowadays people are free to date whoever they want to, anytime, anyplace.
Moreover you can date several people at the same time.

I don't see how dating was easier in the past.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Well, I'm studying 18th Century relationships/seduction in literature right now to cap off my English degree, and I can tell you, it was much harder courting back then than it is today... :lol:

As for today, many sociologists believe that technology is dissolving a number of important social skills in young people; furthermore, I'm beginning to wonder at how many staples of our modern diet (I'm talking foods and additives that have really risen in abundance over the last 60 - 70 years, like new forms of MSG, or trans fats) have adverse neurological effects. It's already been shown that trans fat permanently slows down nerve conduction in the brain, thereby basically making you measurably dumber the more you eat it!

Without the need to talk to others face-to-face social skills don't get any exercise, and if synthetic foods are actually making us stupider, then yeah, I'd say it's very possible that dating today is harder, or at least more nerve-wracking, for people, than it used to be.
This.

I feel really old when it comes to these things. Whatever happened to a guy asking a girl out to dinner or something? Thank god my peers still do that. Some friends who have younger siblings tell me people become couples through a steady stream of texting. They'll text for a period of time and then decide to be together. That baffles my mind.

SatisPassion

Registered Member
Well, society was different 20-30 years ago. There are different things that are expected then than there are now, especially when it comes to gender-related and sexual expectations.

But was it easier? Really, I don't think it was any easier than it is now. I think dating is difficult, no matter how you cut it.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think Pretzel hit the nail on the head right there. My parents met on a blind date so they make it sound so easy but I'm sure it wasn't. I guess that's why my mom always yells at me because I never accept anybody's offer to "set me up with someone."

The internet and the face to face stuff is an interesting thought as well. I am happy that I can talk on the phone, internet, text, etc and be cool with it no matter what. I am someone who'd prefer not to talk on the phone but in a face to face situation I'm usually fine.

hezekiah

Registered Member
We back in the day we had to call sometime and talk to them and hear their voice. This way you can maintain a good relationship when apart by expressing once feelings vocals. Nowadays its just Texts, Emails and facebook comments!!