• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dating Someone Disabled

Dabs

Registered Member
Would you ever date someone who is disabled??
Could be physical disability, such as missing an arm or a leg.
Maybe disfigured face, missing ear, couple of fingers are gone.
Could be they walk lop-sided, because one leg is shorter than the other.
Or it could be a mental disability, the one you can't see! :-o

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't think I would date anyone disabled. Whether physical or mental disability. [Especially if it's the latter].

I don't know though. I've never been in love and I don't know how far my love would go.

But, if the person I love, someday becomes disabled..., I don't think I would stop loving him, anyway. I would keep on dating him no matter what.

I just wouldn't go for someone who is disabled in the first place.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I could have a friend that was disabled but I don't think I could date someone disabled. Dunno, I'm always checking people that I think are hot and disabled just doesn't fit. If I was in-love with someone and they became disabled, I don't think I could leave them though. I know if I ever became disabled I wouldn't want to be alone. But disabled people still have each other.

LxDroid

Registered Member
my friend dates a girl who is disabled. she is missing a leg. and tbh, i dont relally see anything wrong with it. i know her quite well, and we are good friends. of course i wouldnt date her, as she is my friends girlfriend, and i think it would turn out very awkward between me and her.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I think it's a bit unfair to label someone as "undate-able" just because they have physical disability. Just because they're missing a limb doesn't change who they are. So to answer the question - for me, no, a physical disability isn't really an issue. And yes, I do realize that it's not an easy task to date someone with a disability.

A mental disability, on the other hand, is a whole different ball game. When it comes to a mental disability - probably not.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Mental disability is a lot different then a physical disability, that's for sure. If it was a mental thing than I think I'd think twice about it but if they are missing a limb or something along those lines it would be different and I would consider it, at least.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I think it's a bit unfair to label someone as "undate-able" just because they have physical disability. Just because they're missing a limb doesn't change who they are. So to answer the question - for me, no, a physical disability isn't really an issue. And yes, I do realize that it's not an easy task to date someone with a disability.

A mental disability, on the other hand, is a whole different ball game. When it comes to a mental disability - probably not.
This. Hell, I'm on my way to being a sign language interpreter, so chances are that I will date a deaf girl. It won't bother me, especially if I feel a strong connection.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
Mental disability is a lot different then a physical disability, that's for sure. If it was a mental thing than I think I'd think twice about it...
This and, even deeper yet, it depends upon the type of mental disability. Every scenario or "disability's" effect on a relationship is hinged contextually. If my safety wasn't in jeopardy, and I seriously loved the person, there are a lot of "disabilities" I could look past--both mental and physical.

For example, however: I got out of a relationship 2 months ago after discovering that my partner was mentally unstable (some people hide it reaaaaally well). Not because I thought, "Oh, yuck." Rather, there were a couple nights I was afraid for my life to fall asleep next to her. I seriously thought one night I would wake up with a knife to my chest, but I was so heartbroken that I didn't care. Medication and therapy would have only done so much (if she'd have accepted help). But she legit thought she was an alien and that I was communicating with her through telepathy throughout the day, sooooo yeah screw that. I'll give a medal of honor to the guy who decides to date and stay with her.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'd say no but I did. At least the mental one. The thing about this is that it's not visible and you find out later, even probably when it's too late to be simply logical about it because you've already fallen for the person. I haven't really faced the option to date someone physically disabled so I don't know how I'd feel about it. Maybe it depends on the handicap. It's not for aesthetic reasons but I enjoy a lot of things that require movement and a handicapped person may not share with me, that's why I'm thinking already why the relationship might not develop.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Does crazy count as a mental disability? :lol:

lots of people have psychological disorders that could really count as mental disabilities. It would certainly be an obstacle in a relationship. I empathize with people with disabilities, but I can't imagine dating someone with one. It'll just make things that much harder.