• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dating someone at your workplace

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Have you ever dated someone at your old or current workplace?

Would you ever do it?

I've never dated someone that I worked with, and I'm not sure I would ever do it. I would just find it very strange. Obviously, it would be different if we worked in different departments and rarely see each other, but if it was in the same department I wouldn't be able to do it.

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's against the rules to do it where I work.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't know. I don't think I would.
If I broke up with that person then it'd be very difficult to work in the same place again and see the person every day.

shelgarr

Registered Member
There have been two companies where I've done that. In one, I actually dated around 4 different guys (only one was a lover). The last time I dated someone at a company, I eventually married him.

Generally I don't think it's a good idea to date. There is potential it might get very messy. Then having to face that day after day would suck.

Raos

Registered Member
I have done it and it has never been an issue for me. The last time I did it we ended up getting married. We worked in the same department and there were no fewer than 6 other couples in our department who started dating and got married as well. The CEO of the company at the time said he was all for it. He said that most people these days spend way more time at work then home so that is where you are going to meet people.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I dated and/or slept with someone I worked with at every place I worked at through high school and college until I got married. Looking back most of the time it created a lot of drama, not the best idea in my opinion.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
It's generally not a good idea, but I have done so before. I met my husband when we were working at a grocery store as teens...well, I was 17 and he was 23...and then later after a few years of marriage we both ended up working at the same corporate office. After our divorce it wasn't really an issue since it was a huge corporation and we didn't work in the same department. That building was so huge that I maybe saw him (accidentally) twice throughout 4 years.

Konshentz

Konshentz
No, I haven't. And I'd like my answer to 'would you ever?" be a no as well, but I'm not so sure. The handful of different jobs I've had before my current one, I never worked with anyone that I could ever end up dating... that's not the case this time. Plus, we work in a small store... if shit got ugly, there'd be no hiding out. It would just be crazy uncomfortable for as long as both of us stayed working there. Haha. That's one of the things that keeps from trying anything.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It can be risky, but it doesn't have to be a problem. As long as they are responsible enough to not let hurt productivity, and as long as they're capable of being adults if the relationship doesn't work, I don't see any problem.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Have you ever dated someone at your old or current workplace?

Would you ever do it?

I've never dated someone that I worked with, and I'm not sure I would ever do it. I would just find it very strange. Obviously, it would be different if we worked in different departments and rarely see each other, but if it was in the same department I wouldn't be able to do it.

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's against the rules to do it where I work.
I have. We dated for four years, my second longest relationship. We were literally working together. Same office, same department, same section. His cube or table is next to mine.

The plus?
-You see each other a lot, even if you're working a lot.
-It makes going to work more fun.
-You share friends.
-The office can provide some creative ideas (this is where your gutter mind should function).
-We had breakfast and lunch together. Sometimes we go to dinner together, it's like reverse living in. We are together until I'm at home.

The neg?
-It depends on the office rules and culture. Some people can be very paranoid that any interaction between the two of us, even on an official basis, was interpreted as PDA (geez, wait til they really see pda). Anyway, since we wanted to be careful about that it sort of made our interaction much colder than we wanted. And it rubs off even when we're no longer working together.
-Another negative thing is competition. Whenever there is a raise or promotion, it's a sensitive issue because we're doing the same job but performing differently. When one gets something and the other doesn't....uh-oh. One time I got promotion to another section that he wanted. That was awkward.
-When we fought even if we didn't fight in public, just the moment our officemates don't see us eating together or not talking, it was stressful for them. And some would like to intervene as if it's their business, in order to save relationships between employees.

Anyway, we worked together the entire time we were together. We met there. And later he left for another company. Few months after that, we broke up. So my ofc was spared the whole breaking up awkward phase.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's against the rules at a lot of places and I don't think I would want to do it. I do know people have met their future spouse at work but as a general rule it doesn't turn out well. Just think what would happen if only one wanted to end things and the other was still wanting a relationship. It would make working tense, I can see bad things happening.