Dating back then...

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by EllyDicious, Jul 29, 2009.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Did your parents ever talked to you about the dating back when they were at your age?

What was it like back then? How did they met your father/mother?

Did it use to be like nowadays or they got together through other ways?

Are your parents open-minded about how dating is nowadays? What do they think?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

No, I never asked them either.

Blind date.

Blind dates are still a method used today obviously. In terms of the actually "Dating game" of course it's massively different with the massive flow of information these days (Facebook, Twitter, Myspace). It makes dating easier in many ways but also stranger because you can learn a lot about a person by reading their profiles so it takes out a very important stage of getting to know someone by basically offering a cheat sheet.

Sure, I don't know why they wouldn't. It's not like I went around fucking anything that walked whereas when they were kids, that was normal.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

No, my grandma does all the time though. It's 'courting' to her. My parents don't really talk about anything like that unless I ask, which I generally don't.

They met at work. How romantic. It's fitting seeing as they are both workaholics nowadays.

That's still common, to meet at work.

Yeah they're pretty open-minded but I don't really tell them anything anyway, and they don't ask.

4. sb1732

sb1732 Registered Member

Well i know a few things but they don't talk about it much. My parents met at university, which i would imagine happens all the time. And yes, i think my parents would be pretty open- minded, i don't think an awful lots changed over the past 30 yrs when it comes to dating.

5. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Did your parents ever talked to you about the dating back when they were at your age?
    Sometimes. I found it sweet to hear about their stories as they looked so happy when they were telling them.

What was it like back then? How did they met your father/mother?

Not much different to how it is now I guess. They met through my mum's ex husband. He knew my dad as my dad worked at their local pub. My dad liked my mum from the moment he met her.

Did it use to be like nowadays or they got together through other ways?

It's a funny story really because my dad would constantly ask my mum out when she left her drunk state of an ex husband but she always said no. Eventually she did give him a chance though and they went to an ice hockey match. They are now season ticket holders.

Are your parents open-minded about how dating is nowadays? What do they think?

They are very open minded people and have never been judgemental or looked down their nose at anything me or my sister have done.

6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

NO! My parents are divorccccced!!!!

They met in high school and got married because my mom got knocked up. Charming story, isn't it?

7. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

- Well...my parents got to know each through their common friend.
    they got married when my mom was 40 and my dad 45. she had me when she was 42 lol.
    my mom rarely talks about the day she met my dad... but from what i understood she has been loving another guy before she met my dad but i don't know why it was impossible for her to marry him. once she started talking a bit, she teared ... so i left it at that. she'll probably tell me when she feels to.

- but there was no "dating" concept back then. It was more of a blind date, just like Constantine mentioned. couples would meet each other through their parents and their parents would decide who their child was supposed to get married to. and generally couples would marry not through love but through arranged marriage.

- so of course my parents got together not through a normal dating way, (not through an arranged marriage either) ..but something in between these.

- my dad is a bit conservative and way too traditional when it comes to this topic.
    he doesn't understand the idea of dating and is opposed to the fact that a woman may have had several boyfriends in her life. he believes love is only one.
    while my mom, is different. she's got nothing against how dating has become nowadays.
    ------

why don't you ask? weren't you guys curious

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  8. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

That's interesting about your parents' views, Elly.
    No not really. As long as they're happy now I don't care to know ins and outs of their dating period. I think I even only learned where they met a year or 2 ago, haha.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

No reason to be curious in my opinion. They met, they fell in love, they had kids, that's where my part in this life starts. I guess I'm just not sentimental enough to really want to know what happened with them.

10. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

I never asked my parents, my mother constantly rambles about the good old days.

They were introduced by their friends.

Not different compared to now. Though I'd be cautious when meeting a friend of a friend.

As long as two people are in love it's all good.