• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dates - America/UK

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Hi folks,

This is not a thread about dating and the differences between American dating and British dating but more about actual dates themselves. Now I am not wish to dismiss other countries I simple don't know how you represent dates.

So here is an example:

01/06/11

If you were in the UK this would be the first of June two thousand eleven

If you were in the US this would be the sixth of January two thousand eleven

Now if you are visiting a country or are on a sight such as amazon.com or amazon.co.uk you know the difference based on the end of the URL but what if it is a website that does not distinguish such as play.com? It is .com site yet I know it is a UK based site and therefore conforms to UK date standards.

My question is why? Does anyone know the reason why we Brits use it on way and our mates on the other side of the pond do it there way? Does anyone know the why this is? Have you ever been confused by it? I am not sure who explained it to me to begin with and how I even found out but I am sure it was watching Wrestling PPV's or american drama where dates are significant.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
What is the actual reason? I have no idea...just add it to the never ending list of things that are just a little bit different.

For something like that it would be nice if it was all the same. I like the way we do it because if someone asks me the date I'll say March 24th so that's why I like it to be 3/24/11...month before date. Either way doesn't bother me...it just confuses me haha

Zenheizer

needs practice
How does the rest of the world view time?

I'd say you guys are the standard, because of Americans using the US customary units and everyone else in the world using metric.

I really wish the US would use metric, so that the US standard system wouldn't be ingrained in my head and I could understand the Olympics! I love Olympics but get thrown off a little by metric measurements!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
What is the actual reason? I have no idea...just add it to the never ending list of things that are just a little bit different.

For something like that it would be nice if it was all the same. I like the way we do it because if someone asks me the date I'll say March 24th so that's why I like it to be 3/24/11...month before date. Either way doesn't bother me...it just confuses me haha
We say here "le 24 mars" if someone asked for the date so it makes more sense when numerically we write the day before the month: 24/03

It only just gets confusing when the numbers are below 12 because there's no telling if they're referring to the day or month in case you see 07/11 and don't know which country wrote it :lol:. I'm also glad I never have to double check the forms when it asks for my birthdate because it's 11/11 - interchangeable and works for both!

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I don't know the reason, but the British system is best *awaits stuff*

It makes sense. The numbers are in ascending order to what they represent.

Day (Shortest) 24 hours
Month (Middle) 28-31 days
Year (Longest) 365/366 days.

It makes sense to me.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Cause the American's love to be difficult like that, along with their driving on the opposite side of the road, turning right on RED, calling Rugby 'Football' when you clearly use your HANDS.

The French are just weird :lol:

I dunno why it's like that, but it is freaking confusing.

diva

Registered Member
I don't know the reason, but the British system is best *awaits stuff*

It makes sense. The numbers are in ascending order to what they represent.

Day (Shortest) 24 hours
Month (Middle) 28-31 days
Year (Longest) 365/366 days.

It makes sense to me.
i absolutely agree. this is exactly the reason why i like the British format more. the American format is just confusing to me. i'd like to add that the American do a lot of things differently, which seems confusing to a lot of people around the world. i don't know why they do it.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Cause the American's love to be difficult like that, along with their driving on the opposite side of the road, turning right on RED, calling Rugby 'Football' when you clearly use your HANDS.

The French are just weird :lol:

I dunno why it's like that, but it is freaking confusing.
Because we say our dates like the Brits and yet drive our cars like the Americans? :lol:

I like HES' explanation why it makes sense. It's more scientific than the "how we say it, so we write it this way" explanation (although it seems to work for the US/FR). :p

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Here in Australia we are the same as the UK. It's date first, then month then year. I think that's the most simple way to do it, almost like smallest to biggest like HES said.

Pretty much the only time I don't do it is when I say 9/11. Since that was an American event we say it in the American way, as apposed to 11/9 like it would be if we were just stating the date here.