Darren McCarty could be offered a contract with the Wings soon

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Darren McCarty could be offered contract with Red Wings soon | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

General manager Ken Holland said he's on the verge of offering Darren McCarty a contract before next week's trade deadline. Holland said McCarty, who plays for Grand Rapids, first must lose weight and improve his conditioning. "The NHL isn't an old-timers league," Holland said. "It's the best-conditioned athletes in the world.

Babcock is taking a wait-and-see approach. "He's had a real good career in the NHL. It hasn't gone as good the last couple years," Babcock said. "This is an opportunity for him to get his life back together.

"It's going to be purely a business decision when it comes to me. The way you win me over is by doing it."

McCarty played in Detroit from 1993 through 2004. He has been productive in comeback stints with the American Hockey League's Grand Rapids Griffins and the International Hockey League's Flint Generals.

He was scoreless in 32 games last season, his second with the Calgary Flames.

McCarty was a fan favorite in Detroit, where the physical forward helped the Red Wings win three Stanley Cups in 1997, 1998 and 2002.
McCarty is exactly the kind of gritty enforcer that the Wings need right now. I really hope he comes back.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think they need a player like McCarty, the Wings aren't a tough team, and get push around to much sometimes, the only fighter they have is Aaron Downey, adding McCarty would be a great addition, he would be a good third or fourth line player, and has a lot of playoff experience, so he would be able to help in that aspect as well.

Sawithere

Registered Member
Go Wings

I think that it is awesome that McCarty is coming back to the Wings. They showed a special on him the other night. I tried to get to Grand Rapids to see him play there, but they say he is ready for NHL action now. I only hope we see more Ozzy and less Hascek.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I think that it is awesome that McCarty is coming back to the Wings. They showed a special on him the other night. I tried to get to Grand Rapids to see him play there, but they say he is ready for NHL action now. I only hope we see more Ozzy and less Hascek.
THANK YOU! He makes me so nervous with his travelling out of the crease and flopping around on the ice. My 2-year-old daughter makes me call her Dominik Hasek and I keep trying to talk her into being any other goalie, but no it has to be Hasek :rolleyes:

padd

Registered Member
Dean was good for the flames in their very short, distance going 7 game, 1st round in 2006. to bad they couldn't beat the Ducks that year.