• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Daredevil w/ Ben Affleck

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ok so I know this is a bit older but I just saw it last night. Aside from some overly larger than life points in the plot I thought it was a pretty decent movie. It was interesting and kept my attention. I also didn't know for sure how it would end up. It also had two Evanescence songs in it. Nice. :lol:

What did you guys think of Daredevil? It got fairly mixed reviews but I liked it regardless. The last movie I saw was the new Terminator and Daredevil was definitely better.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It's been a while since I've seen it, but my impression was generally the same as yours. It was quite enjoyable, but certainly not amazing.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Crap.

Can't remember why i thought it was crap but i remember it being crap.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I liked it. We have the DVD. I didn't know about DD character until the movie so I have no expectations whatsoever as to the storyline or characters before I watched it.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Maddox from The Best Page in the Universe hit on a lot of things that bugged me about that movie. For example, Ben Affleck is a poor lawyer . . . with a badass expensive rooftop apartment with expensive, badass weaponry. How the hell does he afford it? His father was poor, he had no mother in the movie, where is this money coming from?

The best part of the movie was Bullseye. Other than that, none of the characters were interesting, especially Jennifer Garner. Her role could have been played by Steve Buschemi and been more convincing.

Italiano

Film Elitist
I hate to... wait, what am I saying? This movie sucks worse than "The Soup" on E! It's so awful it merits me to just call it "suck". This movie is suck.

Seriously, DAREDEVIL is one of the worst comic book films ever to be released in the past 10 years. In fact the only other comic book films I believe to be worse is it's very premature crib-death sister ELEKTRA and it's retarded brother GHOSTRIDER.

I can't count how many plot holes there are, everyone's acting sucked including Joe Paliantano (which pisses me off cause I love him) and we aren't told enough about Carmen Elktra for this movie to make sense unless you've seen ELEKTRA first or are arleady familiar enough with the series (which is even debatable wherein).

This is one those movie's I really regret paying money to see in theaters. The same director made GHOSTRIDER so it's no surprise that it even surpassed DAREDEVIL in suckitude.

There's no redemption for this movie it really lacks basics in almost every aspect of filmmaking.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Italiano, you do know that Elektra is a spin off of Daredevil and one that takes place after it, right? Seeing Elektra won't tell you anything about her character in Daredevil.

In Elektra, Carmen plays Elektra in a second life, or at least that's what they allude at the end of the film by saying, "Sometimes, the second lives are better than the first".

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's no redemption for this movie it really lacks basics in almost every aspect of filmmaking.
You really hate this movie huh? :lol:

Out of curiosity, did you like Terminator Salvation? I went into that with high expectations and walked away disappointed. It had minimal plot and a load of action. That was it. No plot twists to speak of, no attachment to the characters or anything. That's kind of how I rate a movie. If I am not sure what's going to happen next then I can really start to like the movie. If I don't CARE what happens next then I rate the movie poorly.

With Terminator S I found myself just not caring what happened. It was boring and lacked any real plot. At least Daredevil was able to keep my attention and wasn't either A) entirely predictable, or B) entirely boring. Sure it had some plot holes and was larger than life in several instances, but in the end it's a SUPER HERO MOVIE. Some of that is to be expected.

Seriously though...

I couldn't get past the fact that he was stabbed through the heart (or pretty close to it) and was able to go on to pull a Neo and be totally fine, doing backflips, etc after this. With no medical attention, mind you. That was an epic plot hole and scripting error if you ask me. I had to just block it out in order to enjoy the ending instead of focus on that elephant in the room. :lol:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I was content with it. I'm not a huge fan of the Daredevil comics to be honest so I didnt go into it with high expectations.

I will say this, the "suck" was sort of a welcomed thing IMO. 'Cause here's the problem, Comic movies are not easily pulled off. They require no name acting talent to become the name of the character. Otherwise you end up with Nicholas Cage playing Ghost Rider.

I absolutely loved the Punisher Movie (not warzone... havent seen that one yet) and I felt one of the reasons it was so good... I have no idea who the actor was that played Frank Castle. I know Travolta's character was Bullshit and I dont even remember what importance he had and thats exactly what I'm getting at.

Ghostrider was ok in my book, could have definitely been improved. That film seemed like they were making it just to make it so to speak. And after watching it... I dont know who the character was, I just know Nicholas Cage was Ghost Rider.

In Daredevil, I felt Ben Affleck sucked enough that he actually played Matt Murdock. I didnt feel it was Ben Affleck playing Daredevil (does that make sense?) Basically what I'm saying here is its sort of the Spider-Man effect. Tobey McGuire was a no name actor coming into Spider-Man 1. The movie was fan-flippin'tastic IMO. Then in Spider-man 2 he does a better job, now suddenly people know who McGuire is and he's not Peter Parker anymore. Then finally in the third Installment... its McGuire playing Spider-man and now every time I watch Spider-Man 3 I get a craving for Gun Metal in my mouth.

Jeanie said something a while back about Valkyrie and Tom Cruise that really resonated with this statement I'm trying to make.... Tom Cruise has a habit of looking like this in a movie: He becomes Tom Cruise Playing Tom Cruise Playing (insert role). And I believe that is a problem with the bigger actors and these delicate Comic Movies. To me, Established actors are Oil to a Comic movies water... they just dont mix well unless agitated properly and even then its still not a good mix.

My biggest bitch about DareDevil... Michael Clarke Duncan. I absolutely love the guy so dont get me wrong here. But MCD is no Wilson "Kingpin" Fisk. To me thats like getting Samuel L. Jackson to play Nick Fury.... I fucking hate that concept with a passion and I swear to the ever loving gods that I'll boycott any damn SLJ = Nick Fury movies. Fuck that!

Last edited:

Italiano

Film Elitist
Italiano, you do know that Elektra is a spin off of Daredevil and one that takes place after it, right? Seeing Elektra won't tell you anything about her character in Daredevil.
Well I took a guess cause I've never seen nor will I care to. I suppose I gave it some benefit of the doubt which is usually of moot point.

Either this movie looks to be just as atrocious, if not worse than DAREDEVIL.

You really hate this movie huh? :lol:

Out of curiosity, did you like Terminator Salvation? I went into that with high expectations and walked away disappointed. It had minimal plot and a load of action. That was it. No plot twists to speak of, no attachment to the characters or anything. That's kind of how I rate a movie. If I am not sure what's going to happen next then I can really start to like the movie. If I don't CARE what happens next then I rate the movie poorly.
I have not seen TERMINATOR SALVATION as of yet and I'm hesitant to pay money to see it in theaters.

Otherwise I agree with you Hybrix. If the movie your watching doesn't make you interested in the story and sequence of events then why watch it?

In order for you to give a damned about the plot or the characters you need to have development, conceivable plausibility and intrigue in order for the audience to empathize. It needs to hook them in early and then keep them hooked with plot points of interest.

With Terminator S I found myself just not caring what happened. It was boring and lacked any real plot. At least Daredevil was able to keep my attention and wasn't either A) entirely predictable, or B) entirely boring. Sure it had some plot holes and was larger than life in several instances, but in the end it's a SUPER HERO MOVIE. Some of that is to be expected.
DAREDEVIL has some points of interest but it lacks character development that would make any and all dull characters (which is most of them) any more likable to care about.

The plot wasn't boring but it lacked serious plausibility and decent acting. The only person I liked was Joe Pantoliano and everyone else was either cardboard or just very underdeveloped.

Poorly written and just too unbelievable even for a comic book movie.