Damnmnmnmn

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I think this last mistake of mine will cost me my job.
#^*(%#(#%(#!

I've done so many mistakes lately, even the tiny ones are beginning to grow and add to the impact.
The boss called me in and we had a long chat, where basically he is giving me one month trial to see if things can get sorted out, if not, well... it's bye bye.

One on hand I'll be relieved to go, because I really can't stand the job, on the other I really need a job, any job.

But I've come to think and realize that I am not good for any job. I have such a lack of commitment that I don't think finding another job is going to help me much.

^W*%(^#(fjdT(^$)$^&($

Tucker

Lion Rampant
If you don't mind my asking, how have you come to make an inordinate number of mistakes? If anything, you strike me as very intelligent. Difficulties like the injury to your family member aren't overwhelming you, I hope.

Bliss

Sally Twit
People are allowed to make mistakes and if it's only small ones you're making then he's being a bit harsh. If I were you I'd start looking for another job right now incase the worst does come to the worst.

Arcadoc

Registered Member
If the job is too difficult for you, or you are extremely unhappy in that job, then maybe it's best for you to just go ahead and quit so that you, and your present employer, can both move on. You're not doing yourself, or him, any favors by staying there and wasting your time and his money.

If, otoh, you're making mistakes at work because of other personal problems, then finding a different job isn't likely to improve matters. Perhaps you should try to get to the bottom of your own problems before you cause more for others.

Bliss

Sally Twit
She said she can't afford to just leave though. It's best to find another job first so that you can afford to pay the bills.

Arcadoc

Registered Member
I understand that. But undoubtedly there are other influences at work here. For example, let's start with her name and avatar. She's "BORED". (NOT flaming here, Boredie, just making a neutral observation.) If she is indeed bored out of her mind, it's plain to see that she may be carrying that same attitude of boredom onto the job. If a person is bored on the job, they will make mistakes and those same mistakes could lead to a depreciation of their value as an employee.
This is the type of thing that could be a "personal problem". It's also the type of thing that has to be overcome in order to not only improve one's value to present or future employers, but improve their own self-respect as well.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
If you don't mind my asking, how have you come to make an inordinate number of mistakes? If anything, you strike me as very intelligent. Difficulties like the injury to your family member aren't overwhelming you, I hope.
The mistakes have amounted mainly to a lack of understanding between my boss and me. He doesn't explain himself very well. Unfortunately he is also a perfectionist who can't keep up with his own work/papers, he is very very forgetful and relies on me for EVERYTHING. So that means even if he was the one who made a mistake most cases he didn't remember that he asked for it to be done.
As an example since I've returned from maternity leave he's found many files in the wrong folders. I honestly do not remember filing 90% of the files, while the others I acknowledged for making a mistake.

I really hope it's nothing to do with my family, perhaps subconsciously, but to be honest I wouldn't know.
People are allowed to make mistakes and if it's only small ones you're making then he's being a bit harsh. If I were you I'd start looking for another job right now incase the worst does come to the worst.
He's a perfectionist and expects the jobs to be done completely and the right way (his way). But the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm leaning towards looking for something else. I can see this is not for me.

I understand that. But undoubtedly there are other influences at work here. For example, let's start with her name and avatar. She's "BORED". (NOT flaming here, Boredie, just making a neutral observation.) If she is indeed bored out of her mind, it's plain to see that she may be carrying that same attitude of boredom onto the job. If a person is bored on the job, they will make mistakes and those same mistakes could lead to a depreciation of their value as an employee.
This is the type of thing that could be a "personal problem". It's also the type of thing that has to be overcome in order to not only improve one's value to present or future employers, but improve their own self-respect as well.
There is an element of truth to what you've said. But not relevant specifically to this job. It started off in the previous job (which I enjoyed immensely) which on occasion there really wasn't much to do, so I found GF. I left the job for financial reasons.
I really dislike my current job, and that doesn't help. I can see I'm not the right person for this sort of job. At first I thought I was, but I can see plainly now that I was wrong.

Arcadoc

Registered Member
The mistakes have amounted mainly to a lack of understanding between my boss and me. He doesn't explain himself very well. Unfortunately he is also a perfectionist who can't keep up with his own work/papers, he is very very forgetful and relies on me for EVERYTHING. So that means even if he was the one who made a mistake most cases he didn't remember that he asked for it to be done.
As an example since I've returned from maternity leave he's found many files in the wrong folders. I honestly do not remember filing 90% of the files, while the others I acknowledged for making a mistake.

I really hope it's nothing to do with my family, perhaps subconsciously, but to be honest I wouldn't know.

He's a perfectionist and expects the jobs to be done completely and the right way (his way). But the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm leaning towards looking for something else. I can see this is not for me.

There is an element of truth to what you've said. But not relevant specifically to this job. It started off in the previous job (which I enjoyed immensely) which on occasion there really wasn't much to do, so I found GF. I left the job for financial reasons.
I really dislike my current job, and that doesn't help. I can see I'm not the right person for this sort of job. At first I thought I was, but I can see plainly now that I was wrong.
Any job is worth doing right, even if you don't enjoy doing it. As an employer myself, I can tell you for a fact that there are few things that rile employers more than a job done poorly, or incorrectly, regardless of who does it.
If you were to turn around and apply yourself, you could undoubtedly find ways to improve upon the many small and tedious things at your place of employment. That could help improve your environment at work, thus making the job a little more enjoyable, knowing that you helped make it so.
It could even make your boss look at you in a new light and maybe even offset some of your boredom in the process.
I'm not trying to dissuade you from finding another job, but in this economy we don't know how long it could be before you find something that fits you better. Also, it wouldn't hurt to improve that one for you for as long as you need to stay.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
If you were to turn around and apply yourself, you could undoubtedly find ways to improve upon the many small and tedious things at your place of employment. That could help improve your environment at work, thus making the job a little more enjoyable, knowing that you helped make it so.
It's the only thing I can do now, really. It's that or losing the job faster than I can say bob's your uncle.
Currently my job description includes being a secretary, office manager, personal assistant and dealing with PR. Does it occur in other work places that one person is in charge of all that?
As an employer would you give one person to take on all those things?