Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'NFL' started by micfranklin, Jun 30, 2009.

1. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I'm making this thread mainly because I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks will happen to the Cowboys this upcoming season, now that T.O. is no longer a team distraction. Also because I saw the Eagles-Cowboys game featured on Game of the Week on NFL Network last night and thought about it.

BTW I'm not a Cowboys fan, just wanna open up a discussion.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I think of Tony Romo can mature and be more of a leader they can be better without T.O. I think T.O. presense kept him from completely assuming that role, but that says a little about Romo to begin with. I can't see that happening with guys like Payton Manning, Tom Brady, or if say Troy Aikman were still around. But Romo seems different, not that it's a bad thing, he just doesn't have that personality.

It's like Eli Manning, he was a better QB once Shockey was gone. It allowed him to take more of a leadership role on the team. If Romo can do that, they can be successful. If he can't, they won't.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally feel that losing Owens will hurt Romo, not saying that Romo isn't a good quarterback, but passing to Owens helped him a lot in different scenarios. Should be interesting to see how Williams is going to play now that Owens is gone. I still believe their one of the best teams in the NFC, and their going to be hard to beat. Their defense is great, especially when you have a beast like Ware. Romo needs to step it up when it counts, last two seasons he didn't which as hurt his reputation. I am excited for the season, but like I mentioned losing Owens will hurt them.

4. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

All I can say is that their passing game lost some of its lethality but when one door closes another one opens, so for the sake of the Cowboys here's to hoping that Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin and Jason Witten take up all the space that was lost.

Oh, and if they can't win a playoff game this year or even get to the playoffs then there is definitely something else faulty with the team.

5. CaptainObvious

I agree, if they don't there's something faulty big time. I would say not just Romo and a lack of leadership but the coaching staff is pretty weak also. Starting with Wade.

6. Cooley47

Cooley47 Registered Member

Probably what has happened the past couple of seasons. The Cowboys will do decent, but come December Romo will fall back into the slump and they'll either miss the playoffs or lose the first round / Wildcard.

7. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

With Romo behind center, this team won't reach a Super Bowl and will never win a championship. It isn't 100% his fault, but he is very overrated and always has been. Of course you're going to look good when compared to Drew Bledsoe and Brad Johnson.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally believe Tony Romo is one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He still makes mistakes, but you have to remember he hasn't been a quarterback for a lot of seasons, so he's still learning the league and some of the plays. Getting more experience as well, the only knock I have on Romo, which could easily change is that he's not good in clutch situations.

9. CaptainObvious

I agree with Babe 100%, I think he's a very talented QB but has come up short in clutch situations. I think a lot of that is lack of preparation and immaturity. If he makes a conscious decision to grow up and be a real leader, he can take them far. If he doesn't, he won't.

10. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I wouldn't put him in my top five quarterbacks. His only knock is that he isn't clutch? I'd say that is a pretty big knock. I gag when I constantly hear praise for him (what has he done?) and cannot stand watching post-game interviews of him. You won't catch him on my fantasy team. Haha.